Mexican Red Rump Molt

Mexican Red Rump Molt

Postby Wdmgreen » Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 am

Hi All,

I am new to the foum and new to keeping T's. I currently have a Mexicam Red Rump sling which I have had for just over a month now. It started molting last night at 5pm it is now 10:30 am the next day (17 hours) and it still seems to have its legs in the old exo skeleton. Should I be concerned?

Thanx in advance
Warren
Wdmgreen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mexican Red Rump Molt

Postby fastback » Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 am

How is your humidty in the enclosure?

How many legs are still in the old moult?
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wdmgreen » Thu May 12, 2011 11:04 am

I do mist around twice a week, But i dont have anything to check for humidity, I did mist Just before it started to molt yesterday. All of the legs are still in they are out up to about the first joint (if that makes sense).
I seem to have really got attached and would hate it to turn out bad.

Thanx Again
Wdmgreen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu May 12, 2011 11:18 am

You don't need to have some thing to check the humidity but as long as you mist and you misted the enclouser before he started to moult.

How big is the sling to be exact?

I think he might be stuck in hes moult! can you take a picture and posted?
or if you want to MMS to me 072 634 4641.

If you look at him is hes legs pulsating (pumping ) is he still moven tring to get out he moult??.
Try wetting the substrate around him to up the humidity.

what you can also do is drop water onto the old moult to try soften it a bit.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wdmgreen » Thu May 12, 2011 11:24 am

Thanx for the help, He is about 1cm lenthways excluding legs.

I am not home at the moment so cannot post a pic right now.
I didn't see any pulsing this morning seems to be very still. I will try putting a drop or 2 of water on the old molt this afternoon if he is still in the same state.
Wdmgreen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu May 12, 2011 11:38 am

Ok so he's still a small sling.

Keep us updated!
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Psychogav » Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 am

I lost my fireleg female the same way. She got stuck in her molt when I moved to JHB and the humidity was not quite right.
Psychogav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Thu May 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Fos such a small sling that is a very long time. When Ts start molting, I always mist my containers a lot to ncrease humidity - I don't have anything to measure humidity either
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Spider » Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Could there possibly be another reason for the long molting as I have found that my Redrums molt fine even in drier cage setups.
“When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion”
Spider
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu May 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Normal you don't need to mist your Tarantulas enclosure when it moults,They excreat a fluid called, exuvial fluid this seperates the old exoskeleton from the new exoskeleton. But misting or increasing the humidity helps your spider,Larger tarantulas can take up to 2 to 3 days to moult.
Smaller ones are fast.

There can be a couple of reason to why this happens.
Lack of calcium.
exoskelton hardened to fast wich makes it harder for the spider to complete he's moult.

I have lost one small sling to a poor moult so it does happen I have also had 2 tarantulas that had bad moults and ended up losing legs. and at both time the humidity was up .
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wdmgreen » Fri May 13, 2011 11:14 am

Update

I misted the enclosure and lightly misted the T last night. Still no luck. Quite sad as I had grown quite attached to the little fella.

Just a couple of questions I have going forward.
Is this a common occurance with slings?
How often should I mist?

I belive there is a reptile show this weekend at Emperors Palace. I think I am going to try get myself a Mexican Red Knee sling. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Wdmgreen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Fri May 13, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm going to say if the spider is still stuck then its most proberly dead. :(

I been keeping spiders for 4 years now, and I have only lost 1 spiders to it getting stuck in a moult.
SO no its not a common occurance but it does happen from time to time. its all part of the hobby!!
II lost a B vagans female that I had for 3.5years she just died for now reason!

once a week is fine you can also add a water dish if you really get worried.
I mist my slings once week in summer and maybe every 2 weeks in winter, reason is the heating pad cause condensation, so if you add to much water the substrate becomes water logged and the spider will not be to happy. but if I feel they need water I mist them when ever! Allot of my larger tarantulas have water dishes.
but at the end of the day you will learn what is best for your Pet tarantula and what you feel is the best approach.

Ja the expo is on this weekend.
diffently worth a vist and you can meet a couple of nice guys who are also in the hobby of tarantulas,some times you find some really nice priceed slings, but you can also purchase tarantulas from these sites. A bit cheaper some times. I have dealt with all of them before.
www.petbugs.co.za nice selection of tarantulas. trustworthy and very nice guy to deal with.
www.the-spider-shop also trustworthy and nice guy to deal with.
www.tarantulas.co.za there is often tarantulas for sale on this site.
www.tarantula4sale.co.za trustworthy.
www.tarantulatrader.co.za. trustworthy

And they also can get posted to you!
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wdmgreen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanx for the response and links.
I see you mention you use a heating pad. Is this essential?
Wdmgreen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Only in winter it is.
Unless you have a room that stays a constint heat through out winter and does not drop below 10 degrees.
Tarantulas can handle temperature drops but its not good for them to have a prolonged temperature drop.
So if you get a black out don't worry to much as the tank or container will stay heated for some time.

You can buy a small heating pad for your new sling or if you have other spiders. You will be able to get this at the EXPO.
DON"T place the the tanks or containers on top of the heating pad. Reason for this your spider will not be able to regulate he's temperture and wont be able to get away from the heat, which in turn might just end up cooking him!
Place the heating pad up-right against a wall or against a piece of wood and then against the wall(will save some of your heat) or in a cupboard and push the tank or container against it. this way the spider will decide what to do, if he gets cold he will sit on the side with the heating pad and if he gets to hot he will move away.

Some suggest tools of the trade.
You got the spray bottle
A small art paint brush.
A pair of tweezers to cacth small crickets and remove uneaten food. (You can increase the size of the tweezers once the the crickets get bigger)

A good book that will help you, The tarantulas keepers guide. It's got information on care, housing, and feeding. Aurthers are Stanley and Marguerite Schultz. Its going for R165.00 on Kalihari.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping