New with T Keeping.....

New with T Keeping.....

Postby FireLeg » Fri May 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,
I have eventually started with T keeping and although I have read quite a lot about feeding etc I would appreciate any info (or does and don'ts!) about my two new T's. I have a L. Klugi Scarlet Birdeater (1.5cm) and a Brazilian Giant Blonde Birdeater (3cm). It also seems that a lot of information which is given by different people or websites differ... I would really like to know more about handling them. When can you start handling them and can these actually be handled (I have received a lot of mixed messages about this...).
Thank you!
FireLeg
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New with T Keeping.....

Postby Lachdanan » Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 pm

The seeming preoccupation with handling of tarantulas have always fascinated me. Does anyone actually think any Tarantula ENJOYS being groped, poked and in general being irritated by having it removed from its "natural" environment?

Keep it, feed it, enjoy it, watch it,learn about it - but leave it alone! If you want something to handle, consider a dog or a girlfriend :)

That being said, enjoy your T's - amazing creatures to observe!
Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Fri May 25, 2012 11:31 pm

+1 to Lachdanan.
Just enjoy watching them, sometimes I see my snakes and scorpions doing things that is far more rewarding than me picking them up.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Sat May 26, 2012 6:10 pm

General rule of thumb: Leave them alone. Tarantulas are happy to be left alone. There is also this fascination with making the cages of tarantulas as natural as possible. The thing is, they don't really care. You could have a setup that looks the forest floor of the Amazon or some dirt with a few plastic plants and a brick and they couldn't care less. Simpler is always better. Don't handle them, don't waste money on expensive setups and don't bother with online care sheets. Instead invest in The Tarantula Keepers Guide. Best damn book about spiders ever. Period. What are you waiting for. Go get it.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Sat May 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I agree with F1refly on the book, best investment to keeping tarantulas. I own over 120 tarantulas and have only handled very few of them, that has only happened when they got out during feeding time. Used a paintbrush to get them to walk onto my hand and then brushed them gently in the right direction, back into their enclosures. I think they are best left alone though.

Regards
Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 am

I agree with the above posts - especially with the 2 species you have. Lasiodora sp are very skittish, fast and nervous, and attempting to handle one will stress both you and your T.

I hate generic names - when you say "Brazilian Giant Blonde Birdeater" do you mean the Nhandu tripepii? If yes, then this is an absolutely fantastic T, but 100% not a T to handle. a 3cm sling will burrow a lot, but as it grows you will see it in the open a lot.

I am not sure why people are pre-occupied with handling Ts - I have a couple of really docile Ts, but I almost never handle them, and everyone seems very happy with that arrangement.
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby FireLeg » Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for all the replies!
This was what I was thinking as well... just learning more about them and watching them grow! Will definitely go looking for this book as well!
FireLeg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:13 pm

@FireLeg, I have been all over looking for the book "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" and could only find it on Kalahari.com, although it takes about 3 weeks to get to South Africa I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I bought a Green Bottle Blue over the weekend from Deviant Exotics and I am very impressed with the service and the T.
-Thanks Jason / Emsie

Wow, the GBB T maybe small (2cm), but it is a hungry little bugger and does not hesitate to attack its prey at all.

We have 2 x Curly Hair Ts which we bought at the SOS Expo, but they aren't anywhere as hungry as the GBB.
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:41 pm

You should watch out for overfeeding GBBs, they will eat till they pop.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Russell » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks @it_bit_me - I will slow down on the GBB feeding schedule. Twice or Three times a week should be okay?
Russell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marion » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:52 pm

I agree with everyone ..... don't handle the spiders!!! They scare the life out of me although I was brave enough to let someone put a big one on my hand - and I even have the photograph to prove it!!

I would be very afraid of hurting them if I had some. They are small and fragile looking. Not to mention quick as lightening in some cases. But I agree - they are fascinating creatures and some of them are really beautiful colours.

Good luck with you new babies. Let's see them when they are full grown - I believe bird eaters get REALLY big?

Marion
Marion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 am

I've also got a lasiodora Klugi, about the size of a R5 coin now, i do handle mine but would advise not to do so as mine does freak out time to time if i take him/Her out if i check for dead crickets. L.Klugi does need high humidity, and that's about the only thing that you need to worry about them. If i may ask, where did you buy your L. Klugi? i'm looking for another but they seem to be rather rare. I'd love to breed with them one day, they're beautiful!

Enjoy them! your L. Klugi will become a GIANT! one of the only spiders that can rival the Goliath!
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deon-Botha » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Good. I'm Afrikaans so excuse my poor English please. I bought a L.Klugi sibling. Pet shop sais I should feed it "pinheads" but after reading a lot on them, I fed it small crickets just about its own size. Question is, how should I know when its over fed or not. Another question, what roaches are they talking about, that are edible for these L.Klugi creatures ?
Deon-Botha
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi Deon
When feeding prey items that are the size of the tarantula, just make sure that the spider catches and kills the cricket while you are watching. Don't leave it in there, as the cricket could attack the spider if it chooses not the eat, maybe preparing to shed. But feeding the same size as the spider is fine or just slightly smaller is better.
Roaches are the ones your buy from your feeder supplier/ petshop. Turkistan, Orange Spotted, Lobster, Pallids or even small hissers.

Regards Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deon-Botha » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Shaun. Thanks for the info. Yes I watched the spider catching its prey and it dragged it into its burrow. But now again, how do I get the (if it happens) leftovers out of the burrow, because the spider rushes to its burro when you touch its enclosure. I can see it through the glass.
Deon-Botha
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Tarantula keeping