Mould Problem

Mould Problem

Postby Boerie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi I have loads of mould growing in my t's cage. Is this dangerous to the spider? and how do I stop it? Ive cleaned the cage and put in new peat moss but after a few weeks the mould came back
Boerie
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Mould Problem

Postby cascade » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

Can you upload a picture of the mold?

If it is yellow mould/mushroom mycelium, it is poisonous.

I have an issue as well, I have a clean up planned for Saturday to clean some tanks out.

You can boil or nuke your substrate before you use it.
Just let it cool down before adding it to tank.

Here is a picture of the mold that I'm battling with.
Huntingspidermold18.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boerie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Your mould look very similair to mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boerie
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Serpent » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:26 am

Do you not think that you have a hummidity problem? Maybe more ventilation would help.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 pm

You should try removing any uneaten food in their cages, if peat is wet, combined with heat any leftover feeder parts mould very quickly. I try and remove all the feeder parts, and once in a while I take the T out and mix the peat around again, I would also suggest getting one of those tiny water bowls, this way you would not have to mist the peat itself and prevent mould from occouring. That white type of mould is exactly what you get from uneaten parts, my T's generally leave an uneaten leg or a mealworm head once they're done feeding. And as Cascade said soak the peat in BOILING water, this kills of any fungus spores in the peat and prevents mushrooms and other fungii growing in there.
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cascade » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 am

The mold I have an issue with appears with or without moisture, the substrate can be bone dry and it still grows, not as much as when the substrate is wet.
My enclosure in the picture had High humidity and heat as it had a female on an egg sack, which you can see a bit of in the picture

After you feed your spider and your spider has stopped eating you will find a bolus (left overs of the prey item spun into a ball) in one of the corners of the enclosure, this also causes mold, as Colin said remove all and any uneaten food and that should take care of the mold issue for you.
You can see in the third picture a white fur ball starting, this is what uneaten food does.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping