Looking for advice for new T's

Looking for advice for new T's

Postby ed_cik » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:59 am

Hi Guys

I am looking at two new T's. I want one burrowing and one Arboreal Tarantula.

The burrowing i was looking at Cobalt blue or a H.gigas. i really like the look of the blue T's and the H.gigas is also really a beaut that can swim and be communal or are there any other which you guys could recommend.

The Arboreal Tarantulas i am looking at are Singapore blue, Antilles pinktoe are there any other Arboreal that you guys could suggest.

Your help would be appreciated

Regards

Eddie
ed_cik
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Looking for advice for new T's

Postby Gabi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:53 am

Hey there,

I've never had interest in the H. lividium. They're pretty, but I've never wanted one. I love the idea of the H. gigas! I very nearly bought one a year or so ago. I tend to stay away from burrowing spiders though. No particular reason other than personal preference.

As far as arboreals, you've got some great ideas there. How about a P. irminia or P. cambridgei. I'm new to arboreals. Only bought my first irminia a couple of weeks ago. The A. versicolor is cool. I'm looking for an A. metallica.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Charlie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:23 pm

Just note that the H. Lividium is not actually blue, I might be mistaken but they only appear blue under certain lighting, and then regarding Singapore Blue, even though they are reffered to as arboreals, mine currently is the most expensive hole I bought... :lol:
Does anybody else have the Hibby Dibby Jeebies?
Charlie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Firstly, what is your experience level? Have you kept T's before? If not, then I wouldn't recommend H. gigas or H. lividum. One thing you must remember about these 2; H. lividum is only blue when viewed under specific lighting, and that's if you can even see them as they spend most of their lives in holes, and H. gigas hardly ever swims unless forced to. In fact, most tarantulas can "swim" if they had to. I've got a theory that S. calceatum and H. masculata might also be like H. gigas as I've noticed when they're threatened, they head straight for the water bowl and submerge themselves.

As for Advice for new T's, go for the Antilles Pinktoe (Avicularia versicolor) and Singapore blue (Lampropelma violaceoups/Cyriapagopus sp Blue) as soon as possible, as stock is very limited on them. The Singapore Blue is top on my list of the best looking spider around, with P. mettalica on the bottom, just under the curly hair :P

And for Terrestial based T's, I would go for H. gigas, as they are more often seen than H. lividum, and perhaps a Phormictopus cancerides (these are third on my list of best looking spider, I have a huge female that is just gorgeous).

Feel free to ask for more info, I'm online at least once a day now :)
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tachja » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 am

Hi there I've got a colony of h gigas and I love them, only thing is they are fast. As a versi they are weak species and die easy
My babies,
25 Tarantulas
2 scorpions
4.7.0. KSB.
2.0.0 Cornsnakes
And whole lot of
other babies
Tachja
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Tachja » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:21 am

Here's my bbm pin we have group of people tgat bbm all day about t's and what's for sale bbm 25aef703
My babies,
25 Tarantulas
2 scorpions
4.7.0. KSB.
2.0.0 Cornsnakes
And whole lot of
other babies
Tachja
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby cascade » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:40 am

H. lividum starts showing blue colours from a curtain size and it is always blue.

With out flash and light it is a dark blue almost black/greyish colour.
In the light it is a stunning, glittering blue.

Picture a bit bad but you get the idea of the colours starting to show.
H lividum (122).JPG

Same girl, just a bit bigger.
H lividum (157).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cascade
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping