T's size and growth

T's size and growth

Postby Jacquesm » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 am

I have a question about my 3 Bahia scarlet bird eaters, I've had them since they were just 3 small specks in their individual containers, as time goes by, they have all molted successfully etc. But one thing I have noticed one of them is about twice the size of the other two? Is this a normal thing? All 3 of them are from the same egg sack, same living conditions and feeding arrangements. Is there really such a huge difference between the growth rates of slings of the same type?

Thank you
Jacquesm
SA Reptiles Member

Re: T's size and growth

Postby Primogen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 am

Females are normaly larger so maybe thats the case.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deonkwagga » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:42 am

The thing with Tarantulas is the Females grow slower than the males do. Thus the life span of the Females are also longer than you get with males. Males are normally your fast growers. hope this helps info on them.
deonkwagga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby deonkwagga » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 am

The Situation with females being larger than males...is not true, as it is with other spider species. They tend to be the same sizes. Just differ in growth rate. I would advise you get the book, tarantula keeper as this will tell you all of the needed requirements info etc on the different species. You can also look up the Species on google for a good care sheet that will tell you more on this species in general. Google Lasiodora klugi care sheet, as this is their scientific name and will supply you general info.
deonkwagga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:53 am

Well I'm not a T person so my guess was just a guess but I learnt something new at least.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jacquesm » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks to all

I did do some research in the past about the specie before I purchased them, to ensure I have the right setup. Was just strange that the one was growing at such a fats rate, in comparison to the other 2 and thats why i posted this qeustion.
Jacquesm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zane02 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:08 am

Deonkwagga is right-get yourself a copy of The Tarantula Keepers Guide. It is a complete guide to tarantulas and keeping them. Including tips on husbandry,what species to choose, breeding etc. I got mine from Exclusive Books but you can also order it from Hendrik at tarantulacafe.co.za
Zane02
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping