Illegal tarantulas

Illegal tarantulas

Postby Samson » Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 pm

I was hoping someone could shed a light on the illegal Tarantulas in South Africa. I don't think anyone wants ti get hit with a fine for keeping an illegal T. Any information on this would be very helpful. I am in Gauteng and obviously i do not have a permit for Tarantulas so i'd like to know what i can keep. Also this is my first post so if anything is wrong please tell me so i can adjust it.
Samson
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Illegal tarantulas

Postby Inyanga » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Illegals are any indigenous species or exotic species from the same genus. So a OBT (Pterinochilus murinus) is illegal despite not occuring in SA as we have local members of Pterinochilus.

Other exotic species are legal in Gauteng, North West, KZN and Limpopo. The Cape provinces are less obliging.
Inyanga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Samson » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Inyanga wrote:Illegals are any indigenous species or exotic species from the same genus. So a OBT (Pterinochilus murinus) is illegal despite not occuring in SA as we have local members of Pterinochilus.

Other exotic species are legal in Gauteng, North West, KZN and Limpopo. The Cape provinces are less obliging.

Ok thank you.. And do you know how to get a permit for gauteng?
Samson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:36 am

Samson wrote:
Inyanga wrote:Illegals are any indigenous species or exotic species from the same genus. So a OBT (Pterinochilus murinus) is illegal despite not occuring in SA as we have local members of Pterinochilus.

Ok thank you.. And do you know how to get a permit for gauteng?

You don't need permits for exotics in the above mentioned provinces.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Samson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:52 pm

I mean for South African tarantulas.
Samson
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tarantula keeping