Catching scorpions

Catching scorpions

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 pm

To all you who collect scorpions.
Can scorpions be safely picked up by their stingers? IE Do they have to be facing you to sting you? And while the stinger is between your finger tips can they manouver it to still sting?
Is there any chance of injuring the scorpion by handling it this way?

Forgive the ignorance, I just want to know in the event of me having to pick one up.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Catching scorpions

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:33 pm

I wouldn't pick up any thick-tail by the tail/stinger. They can easily squirm and move into position to sting. The tail is quite strong, and it can move at quite a range of angles.

I pick up some thick-pincer scorpions by the tail without worrying, their sting is mild, but still get stung every now and then.

Your safest bet is to get yourself a pair of forceps and either pick them up by the tail using them, or pick them up by the body (hug either side of the body with each forcep 'finger').
Give picking them up with forceps a try, and you'll see just how able their tails are! :)

-=ICM=-
Tarantulas, scorpions, invertebrates for sale (In South Africa!!):
http://www.SAinverts.com

Always looking for trades, breeding loans, mature males, scorpions and centipedes. PM me!!
Looking for the following bugs! - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11555
Ice Cold Milk
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 pm

That sounds like good advice. Thanks Matt
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Note: when picking the thick-pincer scorpions up by the tail, they often start pincing you which can actually hurt a bit. Make sure you don't let go of the tail... :twisted:
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Ha, noted! Thanks BS
Rob Deans

Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Yea I never go anyware without my trusty foreceps lol, I have 2 metal ones and a few plastic ones, use the metal ones for the big specimens and the plastic for the smaller ones as you can damage them if you are not carefull.
Not that much worried about thick-pincer scorpions I'm more concerned about thick-tailed scorpions.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Lachdanan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 pm

My P villosus (while I was picking him up with forceps) once actually gripped each leg of the forceps with his pincers and proceeded to sting the hell out of the rubber coating - after a while I left him in his enclosure with the pincers :D
Lachdanan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Lachdanan can you send us some pics I'm very interested in seeing him :D
My African red calws I pick up by there tail but they very placid and has not yet tried to sting me and have handled them many times without gloves or foreceps.

But a wild specimen! they are strong and fast little creatures and I would not handle a wild one carelessly lol
We found a couple of African flat rock scorpions, big ones! and forceps did not do the job hehe I decided to leave them alone.

I dig these little critters!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Return to Scorpion keeping