Uroplectes triangulifer(bark scorpion)

My scorpions

Postby Boesman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Went herping today for snakes and found 2 Uroplectes triangulifer.Ive decided to keep them for a while....anyone got some tips on how to take proper care of them?
Boesman
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Uroplectes triangulifer(bark scorpion)

Postby Boesman » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 pm

Can anyone tell me how poisonous "Uroplectes triangulifer" is? and how big do they grow? I can't seem to find any info on the net...so help please!
Boesman

Re: Uroplectes triangulifer(bark scorpion)

Postby Ice Cold Milk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:20 am

The sting reports I've heard directly range from mild pain that a few beers takes care of, to extremely intense pain that lasts for several days with a lot of swelling.
Don't take their venom lightly, it can be dangerous if you are allergic, or if you are young/old/have pre-existing medical conditions.

They max out at about 5cm in length as adults, they are a small species.

Keep on a substrate that is a soil/sand mix, with bark or rocks to burrow under. Mist several times per week.
Tarantulas, scorpions, invertebrates for sale (In South Africa!!):
http://www.SAinverts.com

Always looking for trades, breeding loans, mature males, scorpions and centipedes. PM me!!
Looking for the following bugs! - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11555
Ice Cold Milk
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Cradle of life » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 am

Boesman wrote:Can anyone tell me how poisonous "Uroplectes triangulifer" is? and how big do they grow? I can't seem to find any info on the net...so help please!

You mean Venomous :D
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boesman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Ice Cold Milk wrote:The sting reports I've heard directly range from mild pain that a few beers takes care of, to extremely intense pain that lasts for several days with a lot of swelling.
Don't take their venom lightly, it can be dangerous if you are allergic, or if you are young/old/have pre-existing medical conditions.

Wow now i like them even more! Thankx fo the info will do exakly that....
Boesman

Postby Debbiestar88 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

Distribution
South Africa, found in scrubland/grasslands of klipriviewrsberg nature reserve.

Habits
Uroplectes triangulifer species are nocturnal, will leave their homes to hunt on unsuspecting prey. They live under rocks, logs and at the base of bushes.

Captive Housing Care
Housing
A adult can be kept in a small glass terrarium, subtract can be 1cm deep sand, decor can be a nice size rock so they can burrow under it.

Water
A small water dish is a must, they will drink from free standing water.

Heat
Provide heat with a heating pad at 26c and a low at +- 18c. If you keep your scorpion in the room, room temp will be fine.

Food
Crickets, mealworms,silkworms and gaga grabs will do, baby scorpions(3de
instars) will eat pree kill and you have to open the food you give them and they will eat garneted.

Molting
At birth 1 instar scorpions have small white bodies and will stay on the mother till 3de instar. Getting on and off their mother and shedding their skins(Molting)twice.By then you can put them in a small enclosure, if you take them before then they will die of dehydration.

Male and female
Females are bigger than the males.
Every living thing deserves respect!
Debbiestar88
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ceratogyrus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Nice info.
Hopefully he has figured it out by now though, seen as this thread is a year old. :)
Ceratogyrus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LizzyD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 am

Hi everyone,

I found one of these guys the other day and I have him/her in a clear plastic bucket with some fine soil and a rock and piece of bark along with a small bottle cap of water for it to drink. I have put some crickets in but it hasn't eaten them and the crickets walk all over it but it doesn't try go for them, am I missing something here?

I found it in my bath and it is the second one we have found in our house, this one I decided to keep :D

Also is there anything else I need to do or put into the housing/bucket or is all in order? I have a pic but have not clue how to upload it...
LizzyD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buggs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey guys

The crickets often get wise with U triangulifer during the day, but overnight they should just disappear. I have found that if they aren't entirely happy with their captive conditions that they will not eat. They seem to prefer crickets smaller than their body length (excluding tail) and also love to eat flying ants and other "wild caught" prey such as moths and small beetles.

Cheers
Jo
Email me: buggsbalmer@gmail.com
BBM me: 21A48E8B

"For just one moment in the night
I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment, then it's gone,
And I am once again undone.
Never complete. Never whole.
White skin, and an African soul."
- Michelle Frost
Buggs