Emperor babies

Emperor babies

Postby peregrine » Tue May 24, 2011 8:54 am

emperor and babies.JPG

Quite Amazing how devoted Emperor scorps are to their young. Interesting behaviour in so primitive a creature espcially the feeding of the young!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peregrine
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Emperor babies

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am

Nice to see this. I hope you can raise the vast majority of these.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mailjvdb » Tue May 24, 2011 11:50 am

Kewl beans! Congrats! Keep stress to an absolute minimum. Try and leave them almost completely alone besides from every now and then offering some food and moisture. Resist temptation to have a look daily, and you will probably have good success with the babies! When the babies reach 2nd instar, I find that the mother, and young, tolerate stress a LITTLE better than when they are newborns. How are you keeping her if I may ask(setup and parameters), and is this the result of you putting them together or did you acquire her pregnant?
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby peregrine » Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks for your mail Justin. I keep them on deep peat moss[15 to 20 cm],logs,bark leaf like tropical forest floor feed a wide variety of insects.Keep humidity at a level where there is always condensation on the roof corners and about 28 centigrade.I have had them over a year,my guess is that they are 4 or 5 years old. Cage size is 60 by 70 by 30 cm deep .Those Transvaalicus I got from you are all thriving by the way. I am just too busy must send you some pics of local scorps so you can tell me what you think they are and I will see if I agree.
peregrine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Tue May 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Hehe, as long as it's not Justin Bieber! I'm Jason, but no worries :lol:

Some people argue that one does not need such a deep substrate, and apparently about 8cm is enough. But I think the only reason for that might be due to the fact that you might never get to see them much if the substrate is deeper. Do you have any difficulties with this?

Great to hear they are doing so well, seems like they are in good hands! Mail any time you are ready man, no rush.

Keep well,
Jason
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Doug Anderson » Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 am

Hi,

I am actually writing a book on keeping and breeding Emperor scorpions. If I may ask, what were your findings on the gestation period? How many scorplings did your female have. There is obviously a bit of variation between individual specimens, I just want to see what your findings were. Once the babies are good to go, and you want to sell, let me know.

Much appreciated.

Doug
Doug Anderson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Doug Anderson » Wed May 25, 2011 1:44 am

I forgot to mention that I have also bred a few species of scorps. Let me know what you are looking for, maybe we can do a swop? PM me. Thanks. Doug
Doug Anderson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby peregrine » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 am

Sorry Jason life crazy here at least it was close. I am very much the kind of person that leaves my animals alone feeds waters interferes as little as possible. I think Emperors like deep secure burrows what I have done is bury a big chunk of bark leaving a hollow under it. I left an opening and they excavated more entrances.They like that a lot.The room is dark and they are active in the day.They freeze if they detect movement and you really have to bug them before they retreat into the burrows. Because of the leaf litter and moisture cockroaches and crickets live quite happily on the decomposing vegetation and I put in crickets/roaches once a month.Madagascan hissers have actually bred in there.They have no problem catching hissers as big as a hisser can get and eating them.They also will eat small prey items so they seem very adaptable. Pinkies I have never tried as I don't believe that this is a natural prey item. Basically I have imitated a rainforest floor!!!!
peregrine
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Sounds like a nice setup, how about a few pics sometime?

I also believe that one should try to keep the enclosure as natural as possible, and by nature they do burrow rather deep, so must be part reason why they are doing so good. What I like most about natural enclosures, is one gets to study the behavior of the animal in a much better way, as it interacts with its surroundings like it would in nature! It brings out the best in the animals! Its also difficult getting most species of scorpion to breed without replicating the natural environment rather accurately.

All the best with the brood!
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Scorpion keeping