Importing scorpions

Importing scorpions

Postby shadowfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 am

Was just wondering if it is legal to import scorpions from other countries into South Africa.
The reason why I am asking is because I see many other countries, especially European countries and America, keep many of our scorpions such as Parabuthus and Uroplectes spp.
Is it because the there is no demand for them here? (There are some really amazing scorpions out there such as Adroctonus spp.)
Or is it just because it is illegal to import?
Any answers to this would be much appreciated.
Regards
Shadowfoot
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Importing scorpions

Postby F1refly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:26 am

There are people here in SA who focus only on Scorpions, and then those that focus only on Tarantulas. The Scorpion dudes will obviously have a big scorpion collection, whereas the tarantula dudes will only collect tarantulas. Occasionally a Scorpion guy will keep one or two tarantulas and a tarantula guy will also keep one or two scorpions. So yeah, the Scorpion hobby isn't that big in SA. I think it could be due to the fact that a lot of tarantula people are scared of scorpions, centipedes, cockroaches and even the good o'l parktown prawn. It's not that theres no demand for them, it just isn't a very big demand. Most people will rather go out and catch our locals than go through the hassle of importing them. And no, I don't think the importing of Invertebrates is allowed anymore. Maybe with a special permit, I don't know.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks Cameron, that clears things up for me.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm

You're welcome. Always glad to help a friend in need.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Scorpion keeping