Predatory Katydid Injury

Predatory Katydid Injury

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi All

Last night while road cruising I came across this Clonia sp. (C. wahlbergi?) Winged Predatory Katydid. I pulled over as I enjoy the attitude these guys have. When I got to it, I noticed that it looked gravid and that it had a broken rear leg.

I picked it up off the road and brought it home as it would probably become prey to some other animal with the broken leg and all, plus I would like to see if she drops some eggs and if I can hatch them.

So what do you bug guys think; will she be okay with the broken leg (as seen in pics)? I have placed a cockroach, grasshopper and a few mealworms in her cage to give her a choice of prey. Let's see if she takes anything.

Enjoy

Grooming time

"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Re: Predatory Katydid Injury

Postby Primogen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Awesome critters, never thought they would bite but I learned my lesson quickly after the first one got me.

The lower part of the leg looks like its going to fall off but it should be fine in captivity.

Also how long do these live?, I assume maybe just over a year and at that ones size its probaly older than 6 months.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Yeah, they are vicious buggers! Their favourite move is the Baboon Spider stance with front legs raised. Terrifying!!!

As far as I know, they don't actively hunt, but rather stalk or sit-and-wait. So being without one leg shouldnt be too bad...hopefully.

Other Katydids only live for about a year, so I would assume these are the same. Probably after laying she will die.

But very cool critters nonetheless. I think I'll look into collecting a few more.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:33 am

So I broke the one leg off a grasshopper to give her a better chance at catching it, and last night before bed, I found this. Aopologies for the bad pictures, but didnt want to bother her so taken through the plastic of the tub.

Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Other invertebrates