Old lessons, almost got a new teaching…

Old lessons, almost got a new teaching…

Postby Burmbuddy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 am

Hi guys I am posting this as much for my own sake but also just to give a warning about what can possibly happen when you get “used” to your animals and their size.

The tigers are doing great and both are pretty big by now, I have not measured them lately, but the female has got to be up to 40-50kg’s, she took down a 10kg pig the other day with ease. Both should be between 5-6m.\

It was feeding day and my father in law brought a colleague around to come and have a look how they eat. She was the top viv (floor about hip height) and right in the middle where the doors open. She had by this point already had 4 piglets during the day to calm her down-didn’t help much. As soon as she saw me coming closer she was on fire, pupils wide and ready to go.

Father in law and friend were behind me. Now at this point let me just give a quick layout of the room, there are two doors, one on each side (back and front) so one can evac either way if something were to go pear shaped. They had entered in the first door right next to her viv, I mentioned the other door in passing as I was not expecting us to have to use it…(mistake no 1).

I unlocked the doors and she was good to go, I opened the one that would give her the clearest strike path to the piggo and then before I could offer it I dropped it on the floor-difficult to find tongs that can hold a 2kg pig…(mistake no 2) as soon as she realised the door was open she was charging out ready to kill whatever she could for food. Now normally she would just have grabbed the pig off the floor, but I had not bothered to heat the pig up and it was just basically room temp (mistake no 3). So now we were faced by a hip high 50kg retic that was high on the smell of pig. At this point we were all still fine, I had another 3 pigs ready to offer her instead and we were about 4m away from her but I thought it would be good if we could reduce the warm bodies in the room and I mentioned that if they want to they are welcome step out and watch from the other side of the door.

This whole time I was watching the very large hungry snake that was ever reducing the air space between her and what she perceived as the nice warm origin of her pork dumplings. What I missed was the ever rising anxiety levels of my father in laws colleague to whom a 1.5m mole snake is a LARGE snake and now perceived himself to be trapped (even though there was a door right next to him) by the sea monster from Moby Dick. As soon as I suggested he step out he saw fit to abandon all dignity and make his bid for freedom, but instead of running out the back door his brain went to worm mode and he ran at the only door he could register at that moment - straight passed her…and this is where is all went into slow motion.

She went at him like a lightning bolt and I could already imagine how a silk shirt would look with a nice imprint of the inside of her moth on the side….I did the only thing I could and just threw the other piglet in my hand at her head, as soon as it hit her head she luckily grabbed it and missed the corporate now making a hasty exit.

I realised that this could and actually should have ended badly given the level of complacency on my side. I have relooked the entire situation and I will put in viewing windows for the room so that when I feed I am the only one in the room.
Anyway just keep realising that these guys remain a challenge. A 2m retic is nothing compared to a 4m retic that is nothing compared to a 5/6m animal. Feeding also just takes on a new level with every 6 months as they grow. To give an idea, I only have 4 retics at the moment ranging from 3.5m to 6m and if all eat on the same day I will use up to 15-20 piglets in one feeding.

I will try and get some pics up again as soon as they have passed what they currently have in the bellies.

Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Old lessons, almost got a new teaching…

Postby Bushviper » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:37 am

I love the way you described it. Only someone who has seen a retic in feeding mode can appreciate the whole scenario. Luckily your aim was good enough that you connected her where she could react quickly.

Yes the other scenario could have been far more traumatic and worthy of photos etc. Glad it did not go pear shaped for you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gartersnake » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:43 pm

What a story, great read really enjoyed it.
I just want to add to your theory/method how ever you want to look at it, I use to have a few mangroves and Angolan corals a while ago and our neighbors kids come around from time to time to see what's new, anyway, the one day I was busy feeding the animals and I heard the wife open for them, so I just talked loudly telling them that I am busy and they must not come into the room.

Usually they listen because I have told them and their parents before it is not a game, some of the animals are extremely dangerous and all that but this time the kid brought a mate along, and I had a red mangrove female of average size on the hook at that very moment, and as we all know they aren't forgiving at all! so the kid whom I did not expect swung open the door behind me and came around to see what I was doing, now what do you do with this I can't take my eyes of the snake and I got this stupid kid right underneath this little killing machine and he refused to listen to me to a point that I actually had to kick this kid so that he falls I put my one foot on his chest while I transferred the snake to the closest tub.

Not meaning to hijack your post, but in most cases I found that people just don't listen or use common sense.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:53 pm

From the start of reading your thread I thought you wore talking about "Tigers" and thought it is going to end with some one getting mauled by a "tiger".
Then it all made since coming to the end.
I have been reading up about retics and there size they grow to and I still can not get my head around the size they get to!!

Dealing with my friends 3.8m Burmese python is a hand full when having to clean he's tank and feeding him on rabbits.
I would love to see pictures of your setup and of the "Tiger" that decided to take a lunge at the guy.

What size is your room that you keep your retics in?

Glad it did not go pear shaped.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob Macmillan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:28 pm

I think you win the award for creative writing. LOL!!! I have this mental image of a guy who looks like Mr Furly (from that old sitcom, Three's Company) bolting out with a floral silk shirt and giving the Brady scream "IT BIT ME IT BIT ME!!!!". Geez this was funny, but at the same time could of gone very south!! Luckily it didnt. Keep us posted when your next set of visitors come by to watch feeding time. I need the laugh!!!
Rob Macmillan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:51 am

LOL...thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it - slow day at work...

I will get some pics up as soon as they are able to move again...

Dan
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Shew Burmbuddy thats a bit hectic!! im glad it all ended relatively ok though!!
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:56 am

A very entertaining read Dan, I think we all had a little comical movie going in our head but realize it could have ended in disaster. At least there were lessons learned from the experience. Looking forward to see some update pics of how big your retics have grown.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus)