Meet Rocky

Re: Meet Rocky

Postby Boadicea » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 pm

LMAO@Swazi
This might be a stupid question but why do you think the aroma of their excreta is so bad compared to that of Burms and retics? They are also defensive crappers and I would imagine they eat pretty much the same thing in the wild as do rock pythons ....small crocodiles and monitor lizards, birds and game. The "bouquet" should be similar one would think. Unless of course it is not just excreta but musk mixed in. Does anyone know if the pythons defensive cr@p contains that little added extra or is it just the same as when they do the usual?
@Armata have you noticed anything exceptional smelling about Rocky's waste?
By the way the question is based purely on scientific interest and not on any unhealthy Freudian preoccupation
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 pm

Their normal faeces are no different to any other Python. The musk that they give off is the same as Anacondas and the Epicrates boas. Once they are not scared or stressed then you dont smell it any more. The combination they spray at you when you catch them is a different matter altogether. Even our cobras and molesnakes do it as well as the slugeaters.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:24 pm

I remember finding a P. natalensis on a road in Zim. I transported it to a spot where very few people get to, thinking that I'm doing it a favour.

Just for my good deed the bugger left a smell in my car that lingered for 3 weeks. It was hell getting in after the car had been standing in the sun.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby armata » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Andre, that guy with the D80 will have to explain that 'body commander'. I just think the proper unit will give me more control.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby armata » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 pm

I must just add re the smelly expulsions.
Back in the 80s at FSP we had just rescued a big Afroc from the sugar at Stanger; it had just killed a dog.
Anyway, I ended up with the back end, and Ephraim had the head and his son Ernest the middle. I had cupped my hand over the vent but I could feel the pressure building, so to my shame I pointed it at Ernest who got the lot, and I mean a LOT - sorry Ernest wherever you are :(
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata

Postby Boadicea » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:31 am

LOL @ armata. Is this supposed to be a lesson in ethics in field herpetology? Shame poor Ernest.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:48 am

I'm so happy Armata is now working with small adders... because I would be too terrified of going herping with him again!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby justinvBreda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 pm

its a beautiful snake!why would you be terrified going herping BushSnake?
justinvBreda
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)