Permits

Permits

Postby dazz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi there..can anyone tell me how i can get permits for rock pythons?as some of you know i'm doing projects to re populate our indigenous snake species buy breeding and releasing their young..any info is really appreciated.
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Permits

Postby joef_conner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Boet I'm afraid if you want to help you're better off doing it under the radar. The KZN guys are just too disorganised to actually make any difference.

Good Luck!
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Fooble » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:28 pm

joef_conner wrote:Boet I'm afraid if you want to help you're better off doing it under the radar. The KZN guys are just too disorganised to actually make any difference.

Good Luck!

Mr Joef would you have any experience about that.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Nasicornis » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:55 pm

First off, reptiles in the wild do know how to reproduce on their own and can manage quite good in the wild. Secondly, Natcon isn't going to dish out permits for them for the reasons given because (as mentioned) they can look after themselves in the wild and "repopulation" from captive stock is rather a silly idea. These animals are not threatned beacuse of lack of babies produced but rahter due to habitat destruction and will remain so until their habitat is left alone. So if there isn't enough viable habitat where would these captive babies go to if the habitat is not a security in the future?
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby joef_conner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:36 pm

I have delt with them on many occasions. Never aging though.
joef_conner

Postby Nasicornis » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 pm

joef_conner wrote:I have delt with them on many occasions. Never aging though.

Never getting old :?:
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis

Postby Mongoose » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Dazz - our indigenous herpetofauna populations over all are pretty good. There are some species that are threatened due to habitat loss and amphibians due to disease and polutants etc. May I ask what is your reason to "re-populate" herpetofauna?

This infact can be very detremental to populations, especially if you introduce a foreign disease to the area. I have read elsewear that you have been releasing house snakes back in to the wild. With recent phylogenetics, species can be proved using DNA, and if your house snakes are not from that area, you may be introducing a exotic species to the area.

Over-populating an area is just as dangerous - especially with pythons. Young pythons have a high dispersal rate until they find a safe spot - they are very fussy and during this time I can guarantee a high death rate. With things like house snakes etc, you would also have to produce high numbers to have a postive growth affect on the population, and I'm pretty sure that the small % that you release does not affect the numbers at all.

Kirsten Wimberger was trying to succesfully re-introduce rehabilitated Leopard tortoises back in to the wild and only 2 survived - Thus making the release a fail. It's not to say that it is not possible, they need just find different methods.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby JPWittstock » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Dazz,
There are afrocks on permit that you may be able to get offspring from. I am not sure that KZN wildlife will allow you to release offspring though, although that being said they have released burmese before thinking it was an afrock so who nows. PM me for more info.
JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:57 pm

Releasing captive animals is never a good idea.I hope the animals you released were all wildcaught or atleast first generation offspring from wc animals that originated from the release site.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby atropos » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 am

Dazz although your enthusiasm to help is admirable much of the problems we face in conservation today are due to people, with good intentions, acting without sufficient knowledge on the consequences of their actions. As some of the others have correctly mentioned, habitat loss and other anthropogenic factors are usually responsible for the decline in species numbers and therefore we need to be very careful in the steps we take in these matters. If you are still keen on the idea then perhaps doing some research to find out if others have been successfull in doing similar things would be a good start. I'm not sure what you would find but i don't think that releasing captive bread snakes is a good idea and as mentioned wild snakes can breed fine on their own without the assistance of humans. G
Dedicated to the snakes of the Western Cape and to those that conserve them - www.capesnakeconservation.com
atropos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dazz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:11 am

Snakes are being killed every day buy humans am i right?so why cant we give back what we are taking?
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dazz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:38 am

And all the babies are first generation young..they get released in and around their area of origin..they basically get introduced into the wild buy going into a pit for several months to a year and a bit!i feel i'm doing the right thing here?
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mongoose » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:46 am

Dazz, the amount of reptiles being killed by humans and snakes that get killed on roads aswell is just the TIP of the iceberg. It seriously has a very small impact in my opinion.

You feel you are doing the right thing, but I don't want to shoot you down, but it really is not!

Snakes are not the only things that are being destroyed by humans. Mammals, birds lizards..And that is just a few to mention. It could even be taken a step further to niches and micro habitats.

Infact, in most other provinces, it is illegal to release animals again!

Our populations with the majority of things is stable enough.
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby joef_conner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 am

Go for it Dazz. Rather be critisesed for actually doing something.
joef_conner

Postby dazz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 am

Mongoose i have seen a terrible decline in reptiles in my area,and its not from habitat loss because we all just farm land here..snakes get killed on a nearly everyday basis in my town and over the years i'v recorded that my finds are getting less and less,i have been doing my outmost best to educate the public here and been giving demo's and school talks and have been getting into peoples heads!there are some farmers who have had serious rodent problems a couple years back,and we released a very large number of brown house snakes go on this specific farm and i swear to you there are stil a few rats around but never as many as there were before,i have captured some of the same captive bred house snakes this year and seem to be doing just perfect(considering that they captive re-introduced snakes)and this is about 4 years down the line?can you please explain that?coz in my eyes that looks like a job well done..
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)