Python Problems

Python Problems

Postby jpvw1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Could anybody help please? I have just bought a new house, and on first visit I found one occupant already there. According to Petshops around they say it is a African Rock Python. According to the Net I am in for a whole lot of trouble if I keep him. My new friend is about 2.5 meters long, and not to friendly. I would not really like to keep him/her, but is also not the type of person that kills wild animals. Any suggestions.
jpvw1
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python Problems

Postby warbot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Get someone in the area from the forum to come and remove the animal for you and relocate it, and you are relieved from the beautiful cranky animal and it will be released into a new and safe habitat.

And welcome to SAReptiles, hope you like it here :D

Afrocks have been known to be a bit feisty
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby mgiddings » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm

Hello, can you tell us what area you are in? I am sure someone could come relocate it for you. It could only really be an african rock python if it that size. I take it is a large, heavy bodied snake?

Well done for not killing it, just state your area and I am sure someone can help you.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jpvw1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks
I am from Vereeniging. Not supposed to be the natural habitat for my friend. She/he is so friendly, I was considering leaving the house to her. I've been given some scary advise from friends and foe, and not sure who to trust. Can I get into trouble with the law for this. She/he is big, but I am not prepared to measure her. She eats like a hooligan.
jpvw1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:12 pm

So was she in a cage? That could get you into a fair bit of trouble. She is not from the neighbourhood for sure and releasing her would be a criminal offense as well as a potential ecological disaster.

Rather contact Nature Conservation and explain the situation and they can come fetch her and make her available for research or donate her to one of the zoos. If you phone them and explain how she came to be in your possession they will not prosecute you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Boesman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:35 am

It sound to me like a wild one that went into your new house and cant get out?or is it in a cage?
Also is she very skinny or healthy and fat?
Boesman
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby jpvw1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:35 am

Sorry for the late reply. I found her in the yard, not in a cage. I have a contractor company renovating the house, who refused to work while she was there. I had to catch her and remove her, not an easy task. She is now in a 8 ft glass fish tank at my current house. This is also were I have been feeding her. She eats well and seems healthy, but I still do not think it is a good idea to keep her.
jpvw1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby martinshaun » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 am

fishy ?
As a man thinks in his heart, so is he
martinshaun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:32 am

You are right about the trouble if you keep him/her... they are classed as a threatened or protected species (TOPS) and need a permit and 5 miles of bureaucratic red tape before you are technically aloud to LOOK at them...

Afrocks can have VERY bad tempers... I think the best is to get a member out there and relocate that baby for you... Vereeniging is a bit far for me to go... I live in Pretoria... :( but Im sure you can come right with someone here!

Please let us know if you come right! and pictures of your unwitting housemate would be appreciated :D
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jpvw1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 pm

No,no not a fishy it is a snaky. Thanks for concern bernice. I have been contacted by one of the members who also stays in Vereeniging, he said that he might be able to help. I will take some pictures tonight and post it tomorrow.
jpvw1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm

I say you should listen to BV's advice and call nature conservation to fetch the python. The snake is not from the area and who knows where it originally came from so you can not just relocate it any where you think would be best. The snake should go to a zoo or similar facility if you do not know its place of origin.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Herphabitat has a point... It would be best to contact natcon...

Im just a bit jaded as to SOME (please note I said SOME, not all! just a few crazy individuals who give their profession a bad name) natcon officials... heard too often that snakes that get handed over end up dead!

I only hope the natcon guys that get involved on that side aren't clueless, and don't end up just shooting the poor snake... :(

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jpvw1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 am

HI all

Thanks for all the help so far. I have been contacted by a couple of members who has offered to help, and will see how it pans out. I have attached a picture of my "friend". Please confirm/identify her for me?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jpvw1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:53 am

Yup... afrock

Seems to be in pretty good body condition too

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)