Python: mmm Labrador for dinner!

Python: mmm Labrador for dinner!

Postby Corli » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:51 am

Hi

we live in steelpoort which is pretty much in the middle of no where. our residence is a few houses with electric fencing around and the wildlife like baboons, duikers and snakes venture into our gardens often.

But here is a python, I suspect he must have been living here quite a while, but never been caught. Once he got caught under the electric fencing because of his big belly and when some came to rescue him, he spit up 2 cats! he got free alive and last week some children came across him swallowing their dog - a labrador cross! he spit it out again and went into a field between the houses. Now we suspect it was him who ate our 2 cats who went missing and numerous other people's. some one found their jack russel all wet and slimy and terrified on their doorstep with a few bitemarks to his head, he died the next day.

He lives practically next to my house and I am so scared some one will kill it. I've never seen him, but suspect he must be quite a big guy! the ppl here are terrified of snakes and will certainly harm it.

Can some one not maybe come to catch and relocate it?
Corli
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Python: mmm Labrador for dinner!

Postby Jen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am

Hi & welcome
Where exactly is Steelpoort? When you see the snake, contact a Snake Remover in your area from our list: viewforum.php?f=31
I hope this helps!
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Removing a snake if you are not exactly sure where it is is nearly impossible. You'll be surprised at how well a big python can hide...

Tell the people that killing a python is illegal, and that you have to call a competent handler if you ever spot it. You can try Khamai snake park, but I'm not sure if they'll drive that far (about 140km) for a call-out.

The best would be to start keeping rabbits... ad that will distract the snake from your puppies and kittens :twisted:
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Corli » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:41 pm

haha never mind my puppies and kittens - its my two year old toddler Im worried about! I actually wish the python would eat my cat.
Corli
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boesman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 am

Corli wrote:I actually wish the python would eat my cat.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Boesman
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby froot » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:16 pm

LMAO!!

You have just been elected trusty guardian of the big python. The more feral animals it eats the better, and it's karma for me after having been kept awake by barking jack russels numerous times. Pointless excuse for a dog IMO.
Jokes aside it would be best for the animal if it was relocated. There must be a game farm in the area that you can approach to come catch it, assuming that game farms feature people with wildlife wrangling skills, or am I being too optimistic?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:26 am

Corli wrote:some one found their jack russel all wet and slimy and terrified on their doorstep with a few bitemarks to his head.
LOL, I have tried to picture that but end up laughing too much.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Corli » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 am

It actually turned out to be a big red tape palava. Apparently Samancor has a guy who catches snakes and relocates them, but he is too scared (IMO) to go into the veld to look for it and catch it. He says it has to be done at night and its too dangerous in the veld at night. (we have a resident rooikat too!) The last time it was seen it was reported that it's spoor messured 25cm in width (without the labrador - its been spit out) and they couldt see the whole snake but figures it must be about 4-5m long!

So now the multi billion dollar company doesnt want to spend any money on catching the damn thing. I have found someone who would come from PTA to look for it, catch it and relocate it to Nelspruit, and he so kind to only ask petrol money, but the big bosses around here couldnt be less bothered. They figure we all just have to wait until it makes its next appearance and then they'll catch it. hopefully they won't find it with something more precious in its stomach, like a child or my R3500 Scottie! :)

I'll let you know when its been caught...
Corli
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Reptile Recovery is your answer! Dropped u a P.M
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Corli » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 am

Hi guys, this Oupa is still at large and ate 4 dogs in the past 2 months, a young labrador - again! and 3 jack russels. It will be easy to find him I think because we know where it lives. Its a area inside a residential area about as big as 6 erfs. The people there (thankfully we don't live in Steelpoort anymore) said that they will be willing to pay someone to come and get him and release him at a safe place. I'll keep you updated!
Corli
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Fri May 20, 2011 10:56 am

Ok well guys I went to have a look around there. Drove there in March after speaking to Corli. The guy there was assuring me that the area is quite small. Well as I got there I saw the place that he had said he saw the snake. His Jackrussels disappeared a while ago.

So I walked around the area for about 8-9 hours. Within the first hour as I walked in the veld just below the place where all the dogs disappeared the biggest black mamba I've ever seen shot out in front of me, stopped turned around and looked at me and then moved off. At least 2.5 – 3 m long. I continued looking around in every hole, donga and drainage line, but couldn’t find anything. Not a skin not a track nothing. So I told the guy it will be impossible looking for the snake. The area was not as small as I had thought and how he explained it. The whole area is liked with dongas. Even though people cant get there the pythons or whatever it was can get in and out very easily.

So yea the show goes on
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby _THEO_ » Fri May 20, 2011 10:10 pm

R 100 bucks says I'll get it....hahaha
I wish I could go have a look
You never know everything.....
You can learn from everyone....
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sat May 21, 2011 10:24 am

Go for it Theo. Believe me when I tell you its not easy! Its a huge piece of land. They say its a small area where the python was seen but it is not blocked off to the rest of the area. The whole area is around 200hectares. And I searched every inch of it!
But by all means go and look for it...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby _THEO_ » Sat May 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Haha no I know its not easy to find a snake in an open area, near impossible... What about constructing some large funnel traps along a closed of section of fence.. Or building guide walls leading to a series of funnel traps.
You never know everything.....
You can learn from everyone....
_THEO_
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sat May 21, 2011 1:14 pm

is it not illegal to place traps for the capture of wild animals? or did I read the animal protection act wrong?
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)