Afroc Help needed asap.

Afroc Help needed asap.

Postby iiviii » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi all.

Saw a afroc today that's in quite bad shape. Seems lethargic and has quite a bad wheeze. A bit of mucus
Coming out the nostrils when she tries to huff and puff.

Am I correct to say she has pneumonia?

What would the correct way be to treat her?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Afroc Help needed asap.

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:17 am

Hi Chris, myself and Jesse have been trying to get this snake onto paper and get it fixed up. Unfortunately Shaun's hands are tied in the matter because the owner won't budge

It needs a course of Baytrail and some good care
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:20 am

If the owner does not want to take it to a vet then you can open a case of animal cruelty at the local police and then get the SPCA or any other welfare organisation involved.

ANIMALS PROTECTION ACT
NO. 71 OF 1962

Section e (e) being the owner of any animal, deliberately or negligently keeps such animal in a dirty or parasitic condition or allows it to become infected with external parasites or fails to render or procure veterinary or other medical treatment or attention which he is able to render or procure for any such animal in need of such treatment or attention, whether through disease, injury, delivery of young or any other cause, or fails to destroy or cause to be destroyed any such animal which is so seriously injured or diseased or in such a physical condition that to prolong its life would be cruel and would cause such animal unnecessary suffering;

..........shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and any other law, be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding R4 000 or in default of payment to imprisonment for a period not exceeding twelve months or to such imprisonment without the option of a fine,
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby iiviii » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks BV, but I think it would have a negative affect on Shaun if we had to open a case against the owner as other reptile owners might feel reluctant to bring their sick or injured reptiles to the shop. It's a bit of a tight spot to be in for Shaun. It is a stunning snake none the less but needs help.

@ Herald_23 - do you by any chance know who the owner of the snake is or why he refuses to let the snake be treated?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Iivii, We have been trying to find out. I'm going in to see shaun tomorrow. I was prepared to pay the full price for the snake and the medical costs and still Shaun said he could not help. So tomorrow I am going to get the owners number.

Afrocs are a very hardy specie and to see one in this condition (since December last year Herald told me) is appualing. I only found out yesterday when I went in and Herald told me.

I agree Shaun is in a tight spot. And brigning the Spca in to this would not look well but the negligence of the owner of the snake should not be tolerated.

It may be frozen in the course of the week because of the attention its bringing the shop and I want to prevent that at all costs, but in the end it may be the only thing to do for the snake to keep it from suffering, to euthanise and freeze.
Fear not, forgiveness is in grasp
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:02 pm

It seems to me that this snake may not be on Permit. Just reading between the lines.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Quite possible Roland. Will have to see.

Here's a pic for interests sake

Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herald_23 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi Chris

I have no idea who the owner is, and for his sake I hope I never find out.
The lion does not fear the jackal
Herald_23
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Freezing a snake is illegal and could cause you to be arrested. Freezing is not considered an acceptable way to euthanase a snake.

Being a TOPS animal is is technically illegal to kill them as well.

That snake is not that far gone and can be rescued. If the owner does not have a permit then you are also breaking the law.

Who cares if a few feathers get ruffled. If the owner never keeps a reptile again then I guess you have done them all a service.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby michael » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Let's face facts the snake has been in the possesion of the pet shop for atleast a year. It was due to the shop owners negligence that the animal became sick. Treating R.I is not difficult or that expensive, correcting poor husbandry would be a good start! Killing the snake because you are too lazy to sort it out is disgusting!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Unforgiven » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 am

Wish me luck guys, I'm going in now to speak to the owner.

Thanks for all the law referrences. I don't want this to get dirty, but the animal deserves to live. If all does not come right I'll be off to the nearest police station
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Unforgiven » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I have been kicking myself the whole week for failing.

I went in on monday. The snake was still in the same condition and its cage from what it had been on Friday:

I had taken various pics and videos, but my best piece of evidence failed me. I had recorded a 30 minute conversation with the shop owner where many shocking points were raised and annoyingly my phone had reset during the conversation losing the recording.

I have not been to the shop since and I use to frequent it. My assumption is that the snake has been frozen and I sadly have no proof to say that it did not die before being frozen. My assumption of this is because the owner of the shop told me "don't worry, not even 5 minutes after you leave the snake won't be there or a problem anymore". He later stated "as far as the public is concerned the snake is dead" and "when the owner gets back, I will hand him the body of his snake"

By the sounds of things the owner of the shop has his own permit for the snake. He also claimed to be treating the snake with various medication and that it was making a good recovery. He said also "the snake belongs to some nigerian guy and will probably end up as mooti in some location" and that "you don't want an afroc, you just see a sick snake and go oooh I want to save the poor helpless thing"

I still went to Natcon with the evidence I did have and the story, the general response was "oh we'll check it out" that place has had many complaints and the spca has been there many times to check things out, but we will have a look into it" and "its your word against the shop owners, all we can do is locate the current owner and take action against him. Without any hard evidence we cannot place the shop at fualt or accuse it of killing an endangered animal"

I asked for the contact number of the "owner" and was told the number we have does not work because it is his landline number. The owner drops off the snake whenever he goes out of town and then fecthes it when he comes back and that the snake had only had this problem the last time it came in.

Whatever the 100 percent true story is, I do not know. Whether any justice will be served, I do not know. What I do know is I failed to do anything. I used to trust the shop owner and now no longer. I will in future get all my supplies, snakes, etc from other places. From a former chairperson of the local herp society, owner of his own snakes and joint owner of the pet store, I expected more.
Unforgiven
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Name and shame the pet shop. I have had a few requests to sell snakes down that way and will not supply this person or the shop but I have to know who they are.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Eyelash » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I agree, why not name and shame ? Seeing this gets me seriously p'd off !
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:40 pm

This is disgusting, this place needs to be named and shamed. It was a simple fix, it would not have taken that much to sort the snake out. But then he goes and does this, bastards. They really get me pi$$ed. I have no faith left in pet shops because of guys like this.

I hope Nature Conservation does something about this fool.
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)