Natal Rock Python Rescue

Natal Rock Python Rescue

Postby rabolongo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Guys

Some idiot apparently captured a Rock Python when going fishing.

When visiting my mother in law she told me about the guy and his huge snake. When having a look to see what it was I was shocked to find the python in a bird cage with no water or hide. Its been fed live rats that caused severe injuries. The guy is very aggressive and made it very clear he will kill anyone that tries to confiscate his snake.

Police went out on several occasions, when he is under the influence he walks around with the snake and will put it around anyones neck, but the moment the police see a big snake the dissapear. Authorities were notified but with no affect

After harsh words and almost going on my knees he budged and allowed me to treat the snake with antibiotics, supplying pre killed pray and a hide box.

After two month of intense work he now said that he will part ways with the snake as he cannot care for it anymore and agreed that i can come collect her next week.....

Is there anyway of optaining a permit for a African Rock Python ??? She will need medical attention for quite some time and in my opinion she will not be abled to be released soon. I have spend quite a lot on meds and food for her so far and would like to see her cared for as my reps are care for.
1-0-0 Albino Burmese Python
0-1-0 Salmon Red Tailed Boa
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: African Rock Python Rescue

Postby Blake » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 am

That's hectic man, well done on your efforts though. Hope you come right with the permits.

I think he should be kept in a cage with no water or hide.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scar69 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 am

Gee'z dude, you got that snake out of a tough situation,
but may I ask why you didnt mention this earlier? I'm sure had we all put our heads and hand together his Aggressiveness would have been put to shame.. :smt013
I cannot understand royal idiots like these, needs a few !@*$ claps, :twisted:
Nevertheless well done on keeping the snake in mind and clearly yourperseverance has paid of...
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rabolongo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks guys

Unfortunately its a very sensitive situation. When he realised that we are related to the neighbours he started to threaten them etc. Should anything happened to the snake they would have been in his firing line.

So hopefully everything goes well and she will be safe and cared for soon. busy setting up a quarantine tank for her.
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Natal Rock Python Rescue

Postby Bushviper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Unfortunately there is no way that you are going to get a permit for the snake. If you can get it to an approved rehab centre they could take it from there. You could offer to nurse it on their behalf and then arrange that it gets released once it is better. I cannot believe the cops were not prepared to do anything about it. I hope you manage to save the snake and return it to its exact locality it came from.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Natal Rock Python Rescue

Postby rabolongo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Thanks Bushviper

That sucks !! Since you can keep anything in KZN and here get permits for hots

Phoned the rehab now and they don't have space or the equipment to take care of him so will then nurse him under their permit till he is able to be released. will keep him warm and active during the winter to build up some fat reserve to make sure he is a healthy happy snake when summer comes.

Cops scattered when they saw this big snake ( due to obvious reasons), sad but its was priceless to see how they fled the area because of the snake. One cop almost fainted and was helped to the car. So they were of NO help

Unfortunately the dam he was caught at is a holiday resort now, will have to find a reserve close by to realease him once the time comes.
1-1-0 Leopard Gecko
0-1-0 American Alligator
rabolongo
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)