Things have gone South...

Things have gone South...

Postby JamesG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I recently posted a topic on Childrens Pythons, stating I was interested in breeding them and that I could own. I then got hold of one for a rather hefty price, and was happy until I discovered his personality... He is really aggro, and when I say really aggro, I mean REALLY aggro. He strikes at anything that moves and eats like there's no tomorrow. I am really dissapointed at this outcome, as handling him seems to do him no good, I have to cover my whole body to protect myself from his bites. I went back to the pet shop and told the owner the situation. The guy said they don't do refunds, but he'd be happy to trade him for one of the snakes he has, or he could try sell it for me. The selection there isn't great, but I have done my homework on the species he has. The snakes he has that appeal to me is the Sinaloan Milk Snake, a Californian King Snake and a Columbian/Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Unsure which one it is at the moment). If I do not trade with him, I may go with a Blood Python. I wanted to know which snake you guys would buy if it came down to these 4 snakes, in order to get opinions on their temperament and whether I could breed.

The other thing I could do, is to carry on with the handling of the Childrens Python, though it's been a couple of weeks and he has shown no improvement.

Thanks
James
1.0.0 Antaresia Childreni (Riptide)
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Things have gone South...

Postby Blet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 pm

Well if you don't like snappy snakes, skip the Blood...I have 4 and enjoy every minute with them, but they don't take prisoners! Out of the group you mentioned, take the Californian King. Sinoloan will be fine too, but takes less kindly to handlingthna Californian Kings. just remember that most snakes, especially yougn snakes tend to be nervous and may snap in defence. Antaresia bite but settle down over time and make interesting captives. My snakes are not pets and I really dont mind biters. If you intend to breed your snakes, handling and good behaviour should not be as high on your priority list.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:28 pm

I do, indeed, intend to breed, though one of my favourite things about owning snakes is to be able to hold them. I read Bloods are docile, but obviously not? The King is less appealing than the Milk, but both are awesome snakes. My Childrens Python, is mature, which is unfortunate, I would understand if he were young, but he's an adult.
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Yep, don't go for Bloods, very few are docile and they are also not really snakes that can be handled easily.
I have a pair of Childrens Pythons and they were snappy when they were small but calmed down completely and are now awesome snakes and so docile.
There is a huge difference between King\Milk Snakes and Pythons\Boas.

If I were you, I would give it another month at least and see if the snake does not calm down, make sure you have the cage set up 100% with regards to temps, substrate and hiding spots, leave him for a week and then start to handle him again, every day for a few minutes. If you don't like being bitten, get some gloves so that you don't get a fright and pull away if he does bite.

Good luck.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Viper Wade » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 pm

I have to cover my whole body to protect myself from his bites.......... LOL thats to funny.
See you later alligator
In awhile crocodile
Viper Wade
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Blet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Bloods vary considerably in temperament. Youngsters can be insane and my large female hisses and will follow through, given the chance to do so. All four are handleable...as in shifting them for feeding or cleaning purposes. At 8kg+ its best not to push things too far. Also their husbandry is not for everyone...my larger pair sit at +-1.5m, 8kg and are taking adult guinee pigs or small piglets...I've read they go up to 15kg, with several specimens documented at close on 30kg! I find them increadibly beautiful and hope to breed them from next year on.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:05 pm

@ Viper Wade
LOL :lol: :-P It is pretty funny, though, personally I dont enjoy being bitten by any snake :lol:

Ok, so I've decided to drop the Bloods outta the picture...
Though with regard to the Rainbow Boa, I'm concerned about my cage size, I dont think its anywhere nearly as big at what it should be (1m x 30cm x 50 cm), so I may have to knock them off as well.
I plan on keeping a pair together and apparently Milks are cannibalistic by nature... So I guess I may have to reconsider those as well... :(
This leaves me with the Kings, which could also be cannibalistic as well?
I need to choose a snake which is happy to stay in the same cage as another... Though if that really reduces my variety of choice, then I'll have to get another cage.

Thank you for all your advice!
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:15 pm

If I were you james, I would keep the Childrens pythons and get something else as well. Going from that childrens to a cali king will be like going from a superbike to a tricycle. Rainbows can also be nippy. Ball pythons and carpets are also very cool. Get something else to keep yourself content until you find a mate for your childrens. You can then breed your own Childrens and grow then up to be tame yourself :) MY little anaconda used to bite me everyday, now a year later and he is one of my most docile snakes.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks Jamster, your idea of getting another and keeping the Childrens sounds like a plan...
Though Carpets are really big for me, that is why Childrens appeal to me so much, I've always loved pythons and it was like a bonus to have the Childrens, nice and small!

Balls are probably my favourite, easily the most docile snake around, though after my Ball died, I decided to try something else.

So say I get another cage (I have my eye on one), I'm looking for a different, uncommon snake, not like the Corns and Balls. Beautiful, small and docile. Any ideas?
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:12 pm

@ Mitton,
Do you still have your pair of Childrens? I just saw your post on them that you posted in 2008... :)
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm

JamesG wrote:@ Mitton,
Do you still have your pair of Childrens? I just saw your post on them that you posted in 2008... :)

Yes I do, awesome snakes.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby JamesG » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 pm

@ Mitton
Oh awesome! Has the female calmed down?
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Completely
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby JamesG » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Thats awesome :D Really cool ! I think I may do what Jamster suggested, though I will continue to handle him :)
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JamesG » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Just out of interest... Does anyone, beside Smeegle, Mitton and I, have any Childrens?
JamesG
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)