Our Scrub Pythons

Our Scrub Pythons

Postby Jason&Sam » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Finally after fighting with Telkom for a few weeks, we are able to post a few pictures of our exciting news!

After purchasing these fine specimens from Reptiles Unlimited, we decided to start cycling them for the upcoming breeding season. Almost immediately after the male was introduced to the female they locked, we were very excited. We noticed lockups over the next few days for a few hours each time.

About 1 month after separating the pair she began refusing meals, which was definitely a sign as she NEVER refused ANY meal. She began to regulate her temperature, which was noticably different from her usual routine of hanging about at the top of her enclosure near the basking light, and she spent a fair amount of time at the bottom of the cage, only moving up for heat on occassion.

Ovulation was not as extreme as we've seen with our GTP's, but we did have the chance on one day to notice a slight swelling. After placing a nest box in her enclosure, we found her exploring this quite often which we hoped was a positive sign.

As if she was giving us a heads up, 29 days after her shed we could clearly see the shape of eggs in her - as you can see in the picture. 31 days after her shed we came home to find her curled up in her nest box and laying the last of 8 healthy eggs.

We were over the moon!! :smt007

Two weeks later the eggs are thriving, and so the wait continues! Another 73 odd days to go... :shock:

Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Our Scrub Pythons

Postby Westley Price » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Congrats, that is great to see!

This species always looks deceptively small, but are very long.

Well done and I can't wait to see all the babies!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby chris w » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Congrats, I love this species, they are right up there on my wish list.
chris w
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:55 pm

That's great news ! Big congrats !

They are one of my fav. pythons !
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks guy's.

One of my favorite too Eyelash. Westly you are so right. The pic's are not the greatest and definatly dont capture their true size and coulor. I will add some better shots soon. The female is around 2.8m and the male 2.4m.

Cheers, J.
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)