Black Head & Woma Hatchlings

Black Head & Woma Hatchlings

Postby Jason&Sam » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 am

Hi everyone,

A little bit of a delayed post, but we have finally got around to it! In November 2013 we hatched our Black Head and Woma Pythons!

From the Black Head Pythons we had seven perfect eggs, all of these hatched and produced some gorgeous babies! We ended up with two males and five females. Here are just a few pictures of them.

We were also lucky enough to have 9 eggs from our Woma Pythons, these all hatched as well producing some stunning animals. Out of them we ended up with two males and seven females!

This was the first breeding attempt for them at three years old, so we are so happy with the results. All of the hatchlings are eating and shedding well and ready to go. :D

Thank you
Sam
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Black Head & Woma Hatchlings

Postby Mitton » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:21 am

Lekker J and S :D , awesome babies.
Really well done!
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby strictlyconstrict » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Great stuff J and S congrats!! Really awsom species
strictlyconstrict
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Excellent job on producing these Aspidites on your first attempt!

Did you incubate the woma eggs suspended above the water logged perlite as shown in the picture with woma hatching in tub? It looks like the Black head clutch was set directly on a much drier substrate within another tub with a soggy perlite mix, if I'm seeing correctly? If so did you add any water at all to the perlite which the black head clutch was incubated on?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but I'm curious as to how and why you guys appeared to incubate these eggs so differently. I am aware that black head eggs are highly sensitive to water and you obviously got the mix spot on!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks guys. Herphabitat PM sent.
J.
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:39 am

Jason&Sam wrote:Herphabitat PM sent.
J.

Please share with us.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Jason&Sam » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:09 am

Eugene after many hours searching I decieded to go with the suspended method of incubation. Clutches were lost due to moisture contact with the eggs so opted with the dry mix suspended over wet. There are still afew tweaks to be made using this method and need to be improved upon. We still learning and are very exited with the results. All are feeding and we still have available for sale. Sam will post in the clasifieds and we will be at the SOS2 Expo under, 'taylor'd reptiles'.

Cant wait.

J.
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:30 am

What a great accomplishment, especially the Blackheads.

Very interesting facts about the differing incubation methods. There are so many differing methods of incubation and I guess it's just a matter of trial and error before you find the correct method for your target species.

Possibly you have saved some other BHP keeper from losing a few clutches with the great info provided.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Australasian pythons (Antaresia, Aspidites, Liasis, Morelia sp)