Sanzinia progress report

Sanzinia progress report

Postby garth » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:21 am

I am probably gonna jinx any chances of anything happening by saying this so I'll whisper it in brackets, (I think my Sanzinia have been mating!!). Now I know they're apparently the bonobo equivelant of the snake realm and it doesn't by any means predict neonates on the horizon, but its still exciting to see!!!! Woop woop woopeee!!!
So far they are proving very rewarding snakes and fairly straight forward to manage, although not as pleasant-natured as the seller described. They are both maintaining healthy weights and shedding well. Feeding has been slowed down over the cool period, and neither snake has fed in the past 2 months. Min temps programmed and recorded are 17 deg C with max at basking spot around 26. Spraying has been slowed down to around once per week or less. Photoperiod is 13 hours light, fading to 11 dark.
The viv is working well and I'm really happy with the microclimates and temp gradients. The electrical work (although safe) still looks like someone dropped a bowl of spaghetti!!
Next in my sights is a bigger habitat for the pair. Half a room if I can. With a rain simulator (as opposed to a sprinkler/sprayer), live plants, a Phelsuma colony and a kick-ass lighting and basking system. We'll see what the minister of interior decorating says about that though!!
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Sanzinia progress report

Postby JPWittstock » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:43 am

(Good Luck Garth) dont want to jinx it either.

Keep us updated and post pictures please.

JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:10 am

I would up the temperature under the spot light a bit. Winter in Madagascar is cold but during the day the snakes can come out and bask in the sun where the actual temperature would be a bit higher than what you are offering. I have never bred Sanzinia but knowing where Madagascar is situated and the temperatures they have in winter would make me adjust the settings just a bit. Ambient temperatures do not mean much because the snakes will actively search for sunlight and bask which is also how they are captured so easily. Even here in winter the official temperature will be recorded as 18 degrees for example but a thermometer left lying on a rock in the sun will register 30 degrees quite easily.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:25 am

Your setup sounds really nice. I would love to see pictures of the snakes and their cage (and the bowl of spaghetti ;) )
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby garth » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 am

True BV. I've measure 50 deg C here in Ireland in the sun! I must get a proper reading under their spot today without getting nailed.
Pythonodispas there are some pics further down in this Madagasc. Boas forum.
Whats this nonsense about genetically modified food being dangerous and not tasting good!?! I had a leg of salmon yesterday and it was delicious!
garth
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Madagascan boas (Acrantophis & Sanzinia sp)