Dumerils Boa hatchling feeding

Dumerils Boa hatchling feeding

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 am

Recently I bought a female Dumerils Boa hatchling. She already has eaten a fuzzy mouse without any problems. Just that I think what adequately sized food would be (I think that I can go bigger) and also how frequent I should feed. I read on some care sheets "feed every two weeks", but I think this is large food for adult Dumerils Boas.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Dumerils Boa hatchling feeding

Postby VenomPassion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 am

I always switched my large boids to rats as soon as they reached the correct size. I'm sure your girl would be able to take rat pups?
Hatchlings in my opinion can eat once a week or as soon as they deficate. As far as adults go,I'd say it would depend on the weight of the specimen. Chubby = Once every 10 - 14 days,Healthy weight = Every 7 - 10 days.

I'm no boid expert,just my personal experience with them.

:smt006
VenomPassion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks for the response, VenomPassion
VenomPassion wrote:I always switched my large boids to rats as soon as they reached the correct size. I'm sure your girl would be able to take rat pups?
I did feed rat pinkies to smaller snakes then her in the past. And I think this one can already take bigger ones. The fuzzy mouse she took, didn't even make an immediately visible bump. She also had no problem with me standing by, while she caught the mouse. So I think she isn't stressed by the new environment.

VenomPassion wrote:Hatchlings in my opinion can eat once a week or as soon as they deficate.
She did sh!t once into the new vivarium. The cake looked thoroughly digested and was a relatively solid paste.
VenomPassion wrote: As far as adults go,I'd say it would depend on the weight of the specimen. Chubby = Once every 10 - 14 days,Healthy weight = Every 7 - 10 days.
That makes sense and I think she can take full grown rats once she is more solid, more then a meter or so. I just wonder how often I should feed her now and that may also depend on the size of the prey. A fuzzy like that I think she can take almost every three days, bigger prey may take longer. But that's a guess I take.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby VenomPassion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:40 pm

If she eats with you standing by then you know your doing a great job!
If a fuzzy mouse does't make a bump then you can feed her two in one feeding session. Or a size bigger,just to see a nice bump.
All in all it's completely up to you how much you feed her. I personally don't agree with "power feeding" to get a specimen up to size to breed earlier than nature intended.

Hope I helped in some way :-?

Enjoy your baby girl mate! And post some pictures of her when you have the time.
VenomPassion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:47 pm

VenomPassion wrote:If she eats with you standing by then you know your doing a great job!
She did this again and I could even take pictures of this as well as pick her up after a while without any problem.
VenomPassion wrote:If a fuzzy mouse does't make a bump then you can feed her two in one feeding session. Or a size bigger,just to see a nice bump.
I used a bigger mouse and I even believe it's possible to feed more of this.
VenomPassion wrote:All in all it's completely up to you how much you feed her. I personally don't agree with "power feeding" to get a specimen up to size to breed earlier than nature intended.
That I don't really consider, but some variety in the food is a consideration. I thought maybe chicks are an option, just that I deem her to small for this at the moment.
VenomPassion wrote:Hope I helped in some way :-?
Enjoy your baby girl mate! And post some pictures of her when you have the time.

She got good points at the "beauty pagent" :smt004 .
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 am

She took two subadult mice earlier this week and now she definetly looks "full"
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Fed her again, she took one mouse after some snapping, tried the other one, but it's just snapping no killing nor swallowing. Seems strange to me, perhaps she is saturated at the moment.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:19 am

I waited to feed my 3 week old baby before answering.
It took a 3 day old Rat Pup for a first feed and did not even have a tell tale bulge.
A pic will be in the thread I have made called Ovulation Yes or No.
Next feed I will try a 5 day old Rat Pup and see what happens.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:22 pm

She is feeding well and growing. However I would prefer her to become more muscular. Do I perhaps need a UVB lighting assisting here with certain internal processes.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Madagascan boas (Acrantophis & Sanzinia sp)