New Addition - Dumerils Boa / Male

New Addition - Dumerils Boa / Male

Postby MKDobison » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Howdy All,

I was hoping that I could get some help regarding our new family addition - Salazar / Dumerils Boa - Male. I've had him for about 5 days now and when I got him I did some measuring and weighing.

He is about 40cm long and weighs in at 121 grams. I was told he was a bread last year but he just seems a bit small to be almost a year old to me... But given I don't actually know a great deal about snakes :-?

I have always loved Ball Pythons but saw the Dum and just had to have him. I've read around that after bringing them home you should leave them for about a week to settle before handling. I've had him out a few times and apart from being a little twitchy at first he seems fine but I really don't want to stress him and would prefer to avoid raising a stressed / aggressive snake, albeit that everyone says Dums are about the most docile medium breed snake out there.

So where I am really going with this is does anyone have some words of wisdom on how to best go about raising a great snake... Oh and also feeding - dead or live..? I don't mind too much either way but again would like to avoid damage to the snake :)

Thanks All - Looking forward to some replies :)

Mike
Look before you leap, For snakes among sweet flowers do creep.
MKDobison
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New Addition - Dumerils Boa / Male

Postby Mitton » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:27 pm

Dumerils are awesome, congrats.

They are normally born around March, so that size sounds about right for this years baby.

They are pretty easy to keep and don't stress easily. You can handle him every day, it should not stress him and won't make him aggressive. They are very docile but come feeding time you have to just be careful, especially when they are big, they are extremely strong.

Try and get him onto dead food, it is just so much easier and with the feeding responses of Dumerils, that won't be a mission at all. Also try and feed him in a separate tub, not his cage, I know it is not the easiest when you have a large collection but my female always thinks there are food coming and it can be a mission getting her out of her cage.

Post a few pics of the little guy.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MKDobison » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Awesome - Thanks very much. He really is a lovely snake and really happy I got him as my first. Going to love watching him grow the same as I did with my Spiders ;-)

We tried feeding yesterday but no luck... maybe just a little more time to settle or just not hungry but will try again on the weekend and think I am going to go right for dead from the get go. Thanks for the heads up on feeding in a separate container, will pick one up on the way home :)

Will see if I can get some pics soon... he is a fast little blighter and is never in one place for very long LOL

Thanks again Mitton
MKDobison
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tyronen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Well done on the Dumeril, they are awesome snakes! I have a female who is 1.5 years old and now around 1.7KGs. As a new born she was a bit snappy but now she is probably the most chilled snake I have and super relaxed about being handled.
Mine takes dead medium rats, I simply put the dead rat next to her hide and when I check later she's taken it, really an easy snake to feed. Make sure you get yours onto rats as feeding a large Dumeril on mice is going to be expensive :)

Keep up posted with some pictures :)
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MKDobison » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Thanks Tyronen -

Really am loving the experience so far. I was a little worried about getting a larger snake as my first but growing with them is always half the joy and fun.

The one thing I did not even consider is do I need a permit for Dum's in South Africa? I've tried searching but can not find anything conclusive... Would hate to have my baby taken away on a technicality :)

Thanks again Guys and Gals for all the help... I have no doubt I will be back regularly asking all sorts of stuff :-D
MKDobison
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tyronen » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Dumeril size is nothing really to worry about, yes they get large-ish but we talking around max 2m and pretty thick. A Red Tail Boa gets much larger! They are CITIES protected which means no import or export. But no permits are required for them locally in the captive bred pool - so no need to worry.
Tyronen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MKDobison » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Whoop Whoop - Thanks again :)
MKDobison
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Madagascan boas (Acrantophis & Sanzinia sp)