Acrantophis madagascariensis babies!

Acrantophis madagascariensis babies!

Postby froot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:44 am

*yawn*

My female gave birth to 4 huge healthy babies and one 'stillborn' during the course of last night.
She started at around 9:30pm and finished at around 3am this morning, thats roughly 1 baby born per hour. Giving birth to babies of this size must've been dam sore. She would move forward as she contracted, her body was heavily contorted during the painful contractions and she breathed very heavily. The babies were deposited all around the enclosure, to hell with warm/cold spots. I weighed one and it came to 230 grams without the yolk sack attached. The babies were shedding immediatly after they ware born.
Not the best photos, I could've taken better shots but at least I got some off. I remember thinking on numerous occasions 'Oh sh!t!, I'd better take some pics", I tend to forget in situations like these.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Now why I used parentheses for the stillborn was because it wasn't quite....still. When I picked it up it was limp as a piece of string but I did notice a slight pulsating movement on it's flank about a third of the way down from it's head. I assumed this was a heartbeat and decided to try do something for the little guy. (Ok this is what happens when I'm left to my own devices at 3am and try fix something I know nothing about).
I figured that the attached egg was still keeping the snake alive and the 'umbilical cord' (you see I know nothing about this) must be kept moist, and the vessels kept open. I immersed the snake and it's egg in warm water and placed this little fiasco onto a small heating pad in order to maintain the temperature and prevent the vessels from being constricted. This is the result...

The baby was still 'alive' at 9am this morning. I do not hold much hope for the baby, it's oxygen supply from the mother has been cut off hours ago and the pulse is much weaker now. I'm expecting to find a dead snake in a tub of warm water stiff from rigo when I get home later. The fact remains that I did manage to artificially keep a 'still born' baby alive or an extended period of time.
If anyone else has had any experience with this, please share, I'm dead keen to learn more.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Kay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:49 am

Congrats! They are beautiful!
Kay
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Oh wow.... Major congrats froot!!!!!!!!!!!!! you must be chuffed! They look beautiful!! are you going to be keeping them all???

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mm069 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:18 pm

Well done Froot, really, congratulations. Thats great. hmmm How much are you selling them for? A pretty penny no doubt...
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:37 pm

How cool is that :!: Way to go Froot. How old are the parents? How big is the mother? I have a pair myself and can't wait for them to have babies :D . Did you have to do anything in particular to facilitate breeding or did it all just happen naturally?
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:48 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Quintin:- No I will be selling at least 2 of them, depending on the sexes.
mm069:- Havn't thought about that yet.
Boadicea:- I bought the parents a year and a half ago, not sure how old thay are. They are both under 2 meters long and look fairly young if that helps. I did nothing to initiate the mating, I kept them together and they eventually mated. The previous owner apparently only fed them mice. He put each boa into a bucket with 10 mice or so and left them to eat. Not adequate considersing a mouse was small enough to get stuck in their teeth at the time I bought them. This meant many hours stunning rats and hand feeding them one by one. They now take rats like demons.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby mm069 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Am I right in saying this species is threatened in the wild and that they are not that easy to come by?
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:54 pm

They are critically endangered, their time in nature is limited, if not, over. Habitat destruction in Madagascar is very depressing.
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:14 pm

That's excelent!! Well done and congrats!!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby mm069 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:30 pm

@Froot, Yes, that's what I thought. You are right, it's exceedingly depressing. This creature called man is an a******.
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm

Froot those adults are about 5 years. This is the first time that they have bred. I have pics of them when they were babies but cannot find them now.

Often this species only has one or two babies with a first clutch. 5 is a lot for a first time.

Some of the babies will die and that is something you have to accept. I am sure you could not have done any more to avoid it.

In future inbreeding could be a problem however getting new genetic material is out of the question seeing as they are CITES app I. The grandmother is from the stock that was imported from Madagascar in 1976 and the grandfather was born in Texas so inbreeding should not be a problem for a couple of generations yet.

If I am not mistaken this species has not been bred in SA for about 3 or 4 years now. Nice going.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks BV, very good to know their bloodlines.
froot
Founder Member

Postby neko » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Huge congrats Froot. Can't wait to see them.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:48 pm

WOW, they look great froot, well done!!!!
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:12 am

Would you like an Opel Corsa in exchange for 2 of those :p

On second thought, can I exchange my kids for those rather. lol
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Next

Return to Madagascan boas (Acrantophis & Sanzinia sp)