my new yellow anaconda

my new yellow anaconda

Postby TAMAZON » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:22 pm

I bought Tamazon at Westgate pet shop on Wednesday. Just need to find out what sort of temperament do these spices of snakes have
TAMAZON
SA Reptiles Member

Re: my new yellow anaconda

Postby Blake » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Generally you should find all that out before getting the snake. But from my experience yellow anacondas aren't the most docile of snakes.
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RaD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:36 am

@tamazon, you are kidding right? good luck buddy, you're gonna need it.
RaD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:37 am

Yellow Annies have a reputation as being probably the most aggressive non-venomous snake on the market.

But that is a generalisation. Probably 8 years ago I bought a newborn Yellow Annie and kept it for a long time. When I had finished my studies I traveled quite a lot and my parents took him over as "home security."

He has his grumpy days, but until today, he is one of the calmer snakes I have owned. The key is to buy them small and handle them often. Make no mistake, you WILL lose blood, but rather do it now. You don't want a aggressive 2.5m snake in a few years.

Good luck and enjoy it!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Jamster » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:57 pm

If you look around on Sareps a little, you'll find plenty of posts about how nasty, unpleasant and aggressive yellow annies can be. But as Westley says it's all about handling and conditioning. I had an adult male and a juvenile male. The juvenile male tamed very quickly while the adult was a constant pain. Yellow anaconda will strike without warning, no hissing, no coiling, just a solid bite.

Personally I think they are great snakes to keep if you have the time, energy and facilities to look after them properly. They are probably one of the messiest big snakes available as they they flip smaller water bowls with ease, defecate in their water repeatedly and musk horribly.

It is just personal preference, some people like them, some people not so much. A friend of mine has two females that are nudging 4m now and they are extremely chilled, however this is not the norm.

Good luck and enjoy!
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to American boas