anacondas

anacondas

Postby mikec29 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Are all anacondas bad tempered? i noticed the other day that someone who can catch a wild 1m to 1.5m Rinkhals bearhanded uses a hook stick to remove 1m yellow anacondas from their tanks!
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

"We are not retreating -- we are advancing in another Direction."
mikec29
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:48 am

I dont like yellow anacondas anymore :shock: I bought 10 from HerpetologySa a few years ago and i got bitten every day by atleast 5 of them, 5 times a day LOL(maybe not that bad but every time i opened the cage a few of them got stuck to me :( ) I sold them as quickly as possible :)
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby mania » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:54 am

My friend had two big annes, the female was ok when he would go in but the male would strike continuously. As far as I've heard they are agro but heard of only a few that were calm.
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Dee474 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:46 am

2 Annies this side .. no problem at all... the correct temp, lots of water, enough food (believe me, they have an appetite) and shelter.... a bit nippy at first, but they settle down later... mine are roughly three years old .... not like a boa you can handle, you have to watch them.... they actually don't like to be handled that often... we just take them out of their tank, feed them in their feeding boxes.... and return them to the tank... might be lucky with this 2, as people are apparantly quite scared of this species... a snake demo's they are show stoppers... in all the time I've had them the male has only once bitten me, just because I was extremely stupid and careless, the female actually allowes us to touch her, without any problem... but it stays at the back of the mind that they still are animals to watch, you never know what they can do next
Dee474
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 am

My little yello annie is a vicious little witch. I handle her with leather gloves because she always tries to get a piece of me when I move her to her feeding box. I usually have to fish her out of her water bowl which is her favourite hangout. You just see the little nose sticking up out of the water and know if you put fingers there you are in trouble! She has a nasty sideways movement when she bites that I suspect is perfectly designed for tearing flesh. I love her anyway. She is just being herself.
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BigT » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:50 pm

Yaaay I get to jump on my soapbox again. I am lucky enough to have four annies. They are a little more maintenance than a boa or a burm but i really think that there reputation is unfounded. They are nippy to begin with but so was my boa and 2 of my burms as babies. If you use the t shirt trick and hook train them and make sure you have constant interaction they are incredibly rewarding snakes. They will bite you a couple of times as babies but it isnt really that bad and after the first 20 or 30 bites they calm down. People get bitten once and panic and never want to handle them again. My little male is like a corn snake a complete pleasure to handle. I have one girl that was given away twice before I got her because she was a terror and now after a bit of effort she is a pleasure. The only one i have to watch is a male i got about 6 months ago who had a year or so of people being scared of him and and the way people treat a snake they are scared of makes them more aggresive IMHO. But I can handle him without a problem now. Keep them very well fed hook train them and make an effort and you wont regret them.

The most aggresive snake in my house is a baby Pebluen milk snake :lol:
Next stop Valhalla

Thomas Jefferson reminded us, "Who bend their swords into plow-shears will plow for those who don't!"
BigT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mikec29 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:00 pm

Well how do you hook train a snake?
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

"We are not retreating -- we are advancing in another Direction."
mikec29
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BigT » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:09 pm

I hook train all my large boids. Really simple really. Whenever you open the tank and are not feeding take your hook and rub its head a couple times then use the hook to lift the front of the body and then pick it up.

Wen feeding leave the hook just open the tank and through the food in.

Also I have a theory that feeding frozen thawed makes your snake less aggresive you dont get that very aggresive feeding response. This doesnt work straight away but after a couple of months i have definatly seen a difference.
Next stop Valhalla

Thomas Jefferson reminded us, "Who bend their swords into plow-shears will plow for those who don't!"
BigT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RAGE » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 pm

My first snake I ever owned was yellow annie. I had it for two days and took it back and swopped it for a 50/50 king :oops: . Bad idea for a starter snake. Now a good couple of years down the line I still dont trust them.

But I go to one of my good friends pet shops every friday to get food. And there is always a guy there with a 3m+ annie with and impressive girth their. This annie has changed my oppinion on them. This snake is as trust worthy as my big boa. He takes this annie with him everywhere. And in the two years of having her she has only got him acouple of times, but this was when she was still young. I think its all about getting through the "everything is going to eat me stage". Persistance in my opinion is the key to keeping annies. Handle them often.

I still however do have alot more respect for this species than say a burm. And would never have one in my collection!
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Return to American boas