Blood Python

Blood Python

Postby Andreas » Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Hey guys - i want some advice regarding blood pythons. How much should i be looking at paying for a hatchling and does anyone here know where i can get one from?

These snakes really look amazing!! Do you guys recommend them?

Thanks a lot!
Andreas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Fri May 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mat Van G » Fri May 02, 2008 1:49 pm

These are great snakes you could be paying between R2500 and R3500 depending on the type. The snakes are realativly easy to keep as long as you stick to a few important rules. They are the only snakes that can get obease so stick to you feeding schedual and dont just give him more cause he will eat it.... Then make sure you have the humidity between 70-80% with good ventelation. Temps should not be as high as normal so keep it between 26-28 C during day and 1-2 c less at nyt! And very important give them a nice big hide with lots of moss so they can hide under it they love crawling around it that stuff! If you need more info just pm me as i have both type of bloods the black and red great animals and easy to keep as long as you follow basic rules.

Cheers Mat
Mat Van G
SA Reptiles Member

Postby arcadies » Fri May 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Mat Van G wrote: They are the only snakes that can get obease so stick to you feeding schedual and dont just give him more cause he will eat it....
Cheers Mat

All captive reptiles can become obese, bloods just tend to die from it quicker,
that and impactation
"But I put my life on the line to save animals. " Steve Irwin (1962 -2006)
arcadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Fri May 02, 2008 4:26 pm

I thought the same too about snakes and obesity, but I really didn't know that they could die from it though, but how do you get one big but not obese, but a healthy big
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby arcadies » Fri May 02, 2008 4:44 pm

they die from a fat build up around the heart or the liver (presumably causing other issues and weakening the functions of these organs).

I have never seen this nor experienced this (Im sure other forum members have, and will be able to give more info) but i do know the large adders and the boids are prone to this, and bloods even more so.

I have also read that a fatty liver is also a symptom of IBD, no clue how true this is though.
"But I put my life on the line to save animals. " Steve Irwin (1962 -2006)
arcadies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Fri May 02, 2008 5:01 pm

oh so you don't really know how you can tell if a snake is obese or not so well
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Andreas » Mon May 05, 2008 2:31 pm

Guys do you know where i can get one in JHB?
Andreas
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Mon May 05, 2008 2:38 pm

If you stick to a strict dietery regime obesity will not be a problem. Bringing a snake on too fast does it no favours and ultimately shortens it's life.

My dwarf Bitis would feed every day almost if I let them, but they get a small mouse once a month and they are looking great.

In the wild for example, in the uk an adult adder will eat 6-8 voles/mice per year, now you equate that with a captive snake which has restricted movement and it becomes plain to understand.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby swazi » Mon May 05, 2008 4:24 pm

We have a massive adult and a juv for sale, contact drummer_68 if you are interested.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Asian pythons