Blood Pythons

Blood Pythons

Postby ziiyo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:53 am

Hey All

A very long time ago i had a Boa + Yellow Rat Snake .. needles to say i dont have them anymore. But ive suddenly revived my love and lust for snakes as before i was engulfed in Work and Sports.

ive been looking to see what snake i want and after MUCH research ive fallen madly inlove with BLOOD PYTHONS :) .

There is something about their colours and their beauty. Id just like to know as im trying to get these snakes and all info down to a tee.... What is the massive difference between a Sumatran and Malaysion Blood. I know you can get black and Red sumatrans, but im talking more of size/temperment etc etc.

Anyways if anyone has one could you please share your knowledge with me as my heart is set in this snake. I know of all the talk about them being agressive BUT i know this is a lie yes some are .. but correct handeling , feeding , enclosure etc will ensure a great docile specimen.
1. Sunglow Boa Constrictor
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Blood Pythons

Postby hunter1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 am

THey are very good looking snakes but their generalisation is for good reason! Take a look on VPi's website they have a very good page about them.
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lizard-lady » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:08 am

Some time ago, I was surfing the net and I found a site, where this guy, actually breeds them. and even having his
female, for years, she still tried to "bite his head off", every chance she got. But I agree, they are the most beautiful snakes!
Maybe some one with more hands on experience, can help you to decide, if these snakes are really for you.
Good luck! :D
Friends teach you what you WANT to know. Enemies teach you what you NEED to know
Lizard-lady
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jhbhc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 am

These snakes are very beautiful. The 1st time i saw them at a friends house about 5 years ago. He owned a well known pet shop in jhb and his collection was massive. The blood python tank was the only tank he took great caution when opening. I think they're generally aggressive but there would also be individuals that are calm and tame just as any other species. I've had snakes for many years and in that time have owned many red tail boas, emerald tree boas and burmese pythons which i sold before my son was born. Sometime last year i did look at a sub adult pair of malaysian blood pythons were beautiful and colourful and probably would have bred this season. Their owner paid i think 6 grand as babies for the pair but he was prepared to let them go at r4500 for sub adults. I tried handling them the male was not too bad but the female was just nasty she was calm for a few minutes and then was possessd by the devil. These snakes aren't like any boa or yellow rat snake. You'll notice that when they move around in their tank. The owner of these Malaysians also had a big collection and said he's tried to handle them but his female was just the devil and he had grown these snakes from hatchlings. Another friend in cape town has a few breeding pairs and all of his are aggressive. A word of advice try find a breeder and ask to see the adults. See if your able to handle them and comfortable, if your heart is really set on them i'm sure you will find a pair. The sub adults that were being sold last year i think are still available. In a year nobody's purchased them. These snakes aren't for everyone
jhbhc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 am

Lizard-lady wrote:Some time ago, I was surfing the net and I found a site, where this guy, actually breeds them. and even having his
female, for years, she still tried to "bite his head off", every chance she got. But I agree, they are the most beautiful snakes!
Maybe some one with more hands on experience, can help you to decide, if these snakes are really for you.
Good luck! :D

Hehe thanks :)

I have a couple years of experience with snakes under my belt so im not to worried as i can read them pretty well and know when to engadge and when to back off. If you get bitten by a snake the only one to blame is yourself as they dont want to bit you its just them getting defensive.

Yes im reading day in and day out about these babies and as i said im set on getting one.

The problem is i want a well known breeder and one that is handeled before and had its temperment measured. If not then yes its a tough time to try get her to settle down and you need to try all the tricks in the book, but im sure ill manage.
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 am

jhbhc wrote:These snakes are very beautiful. The 1st time i saw them at a friends house about 5 years ago. He owned a well known pet shop in jhb and his collection was massive. The blood python tank was the only tank he took great caution when opening. I think they're generally aggressive but there would also be individuals that are calm and tame just as any other species. I've had snakes for many years and in that time have owned many red tail boas, emerald tree boas and burmese pythons which i sold before my son was born. Sometime last year i did look at a sub adult pair of malaysian blood pythons were beautiful and colourful and probably would have bred this season. Their owner paid i think 6 grand as babies for the pair but he was prepared to let them go at r4500 for sub adults. I tried handling them the male was not too bad but the female was just nasty she was calm for a few minutes and then was possessd by the devil. These snakes aren't like any boa or yellow rat snake. You'll notice that when they move around in their tank. The owner of these Malaysians also had a big collection and said he's tried to handle them but his female was just the devil and he had grown these snakes from hatchlings. Another friend in cape town has a few breeding pairs and all of his are aggressive. A word of advice try find a breeder and ask to see the adults. See if your able to handle them and comfortable, if your heart is really set on them i'm sure you will find a pair. The sub adults that were being sold last year i think are still available. In a year nobody's purchased them. These snakes aren't for everyone

Thanks so much

Im a bit bummed that all the reptile expos and all the snakes are mainly in JHB.

I have found a good breeder with both parents being very docile. He is trying his hand at breeding them in the next month or so. So im looking at a few months. but if he is successful then i will be more then happy to get one from him.
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby sildargod » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 am

Feel the blood python love!

I have a number of them, and they're gorgeous and fairly evenly tempered if you get their requirements right. There'll be babies soon enough!

Are there really no shows down in the mother city?

Kaleem
http://www.facebook.com/kaleemrorkphotography
sildargod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:55 am

sildargod wrote:Feel the blood python love!

I have a number of them, and they're gorgeous and fairly evenly tempered if you get their requirements right. There'll be babies soon enough!

Are there really no shows down in the mother city?

Kaleem

None at all that i know of.

Could you tell me more about those gorgeous babies on their way. What type of Blood?, Colouration?, Cost?.... where do you stay. Lol im going over board here as my love for them is making me crazy . I dont think ill be happy until i get my first one.

Id love to see some pix of yours if possible :D
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:02 am

There is 3 different species, borneo is the one you are missing, these are agro snakes... well the ones I have come across anyway.
Stunning colors none the less good luck with that.
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby ziiyo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am

i dont want a Borneo hence i left them out :)

Either Malay or Sumatran. I think the main issue when having these snakes will always be their temperment.
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jhbhc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:21 am

And humidity requirements. Thing about they they're unpredictable and u wouldn't when they're gonna strike. They very quick and u powerful bite u could hear the snap from that females powerful jaw when she struck probably at 5 or 6 good strikes
jhbhc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 am

I think ill need to put this dream on hold for now.

Spent days speaking to VPI and other breeders and the cost is to much to get them here. As well seeing as i want to look at the snake before i get them as they are very pissy and not wanting to purchase one online from around SA only for the snake to be psycho. Right now no one has these babies , at least not anyone in Cape Town or near it. You cannot guarantee a 'tame' one from someone who owns a pet store/ breeder as they say what they need to at times to sell it and this specific snake isnt exactly a boa :(
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I say get a ball python, pretty, small and usually calm.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Im not into them ... They are smaller then BLoods, ALso tame like a puppy. I want more of a challenge and something that isnt easy to get. Also if i want to breed them there is a massive lack of bloods and it would be a high demand but i love them so much .. cnt explain why :)
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Asian pythons