Blood Pythons

Blood Pythons

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Hey guys...

Went to pick up my pair of blood pythons this morning... I am so happy with these snakes. Ever since I've been keeping snakes and going to expos I've been eying these snakes and they were ever so out of reach. And now I got my first pair of bloods.
They are so chilled its not even funny. I will have to get them probed to prove sexes though.They are on the thin side and the one had a bit of a weez but I put the humidity at 80% and 30 degrees. So Blood keepers please advise if those temps and humidity is not right. I will get them "fat" and healthy in no time... They just need some TLC.

Here are some pics of the new additions.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Blood Pythons

Postby Gareth Scruby » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Amazing choise :) they so pretty I would love to get those :) jealous
Gareth Scruby
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fangfan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:15 pm

Wow, they are gorgeous.
Beautiful pics!
Fangfan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:32 pm

I would be a little worried about the wheeze. Keep monitoring it.

You can feed them twice a week to start with till they are back up to the proper weight.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Blet » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:00 pm

I keep mine at 32'C (hot side) and on news paper. Each will have a plastic hide (tupperware/addis etc, hole cut into side with lid on) containing fairly damp palm peat. Never have shedding problems and grew from 150g when collected on 11/11/10 to 2kg earlier this month. Collected yellow striped morph pair earlier this year and showing similar growth rate. Feed rats only. I love my Bloods and am considering to import morphs soon.
Blet
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:52 pm

@ Bushviper: Yea will be watching that weez closely... Its improving but you can hear it... Got the temps at around 32-34degrees warm side and humidity at 85%.

@ Blet: Now newspaper just wont do. It looks cr@p. I keep all my animals on natural substrates except for my boas. And it seems that the peat and sphagnum moss mixture holds moisture well and keeps humidity high...
These animals aren't in many collections or are they? :smt102
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm

They are beautiful and not badly thin.

I keep mine at 32 deg c on newspaper as it's easiest with the size collection I have. They pee huge amounts so if you don't have bio active substrate it going to get bad. I kept them on mulch for a while but it didn't work and one got such bad blockage of the nose I couldn't even figure out where the nostrils were from all the fine dust. Went back to paper with no issues and a much happier animal.

I keep them fairly humid in the younger years but you can wean them off slowly over the years. Obviously when they are shedding they need to be soaked! The humidity must dry up throughout the day.

Keep the wheezy one warm as bloods can get it. When they near a shed the nose can get blocked to and it might be worrying. just keep a close eye on that though.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:00 am

@ Bjorn: Yea they cage dries out during the day, I give them a misting in the morning and then at night a light misting just before I turn off the lights.
I dont have the bigest of collections so maintaining them is easy and no fuss.
The wheez is getting better. I have undercage heating via a heatpad and then a basking lamp on during the day, this gets the temps up to 32 deg. At night it falls to around 24. So not to worried about that. They both had a chow on Sunday.
I am pleased with these guys hey and kinda leaning towards boids now... Planning on getting rid of all my hots and just going in to boids.
Retics, balls, boas and bloods
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:26 am

I had a question about Blood Pythons and happened to see this post, I hope it's not considered a hijack!

I was told at the expo in March that when Blood Pythons are adults, they should not be handled as they're too thick and heavy and any handling would damage their internal organs? Is this true? If it is, that would be something everyone should know, right?
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:43 am

Bianca nope thats not true. They can become rather feisty though and that makes it a bit more difficult.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:50 am

Possibly the guy at the expo was referring to handling them with hooks?

Because of their attitude, people often want to handle these snakes with hooks, and that can cause them harm.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bianca » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Thanks!! :)
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:22 pm

oi oi oi oi!!!! Now those are some very VERY pretty things. I am dying to get myself some babies but of course I haven't found some yet.
Whitelipp holding thumbs that wheeze disapates quick quick and your blood gets on the mend.
Keep us updated with these.
I love these pythons but there dont seem to be very many posts on them, please add some pics of their enclosures too.

Thanks
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Hey Constrictor girl.
The wheeze is gone on both snakes and they have put on some good weight since i got them.
They are eating nicely even though the female needs some assistance. I will take some pics as soon as I can of the enclosure aswell.

Yea I know there arent many people keeping these and they are sometimes priced a bit steep. But they are awesome to keep. Thanx for the nice compliments.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Constrictor Girl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Ah thats good to hear whitelipp, am happy you got them right.

When you say the female needs more assistance do you mean she needs more convincing in order to take the prey like a bit more slapping her in the face with the dead thing or actual physical help with it??
Meg Botha
Renegade Trading
"We are only limited by your imagination"

-Never argue with an idiot, people watching might not be able to tell the difference-
Constrictor Girl
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Asian pythons