Small boa BIG meal!

Small boa BIG meal!

Postby MJ Fourie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:25 pm

They keep on amazing me. The female is the one in the back, she is at least double his length and 3 times his width! I saw her constricting the rat pup and thought she ate it, only to see the male later on looking like he is going to burst.
I have seen the female do this before, killing the prey and then just leaving it, but that normally happens only with a second prey item.
What’s even more amazing is the fact that the male does not eat very often and only small prey, which I read is quite common with sand boas. Well I thought he was not a good eater!! :smt005
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJ Fourie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Small boa BIG meal!

Postby marc bt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Your female is a stunner!
Yet another reason why snakes should be fed seperately, remember this next time ;)
Do you feed them inside their enclosure?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MJ Fourie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks marc!
Yes, I only take out the male to feed him separately because otherwise the female would eat his food as well!!
Promise I will keep them separately when feeding, from now on. It did not bother me in the past because of the males little interest in food.
MJ Fourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Ok i see. Rather not feed them inside the enclosure because (i see you have fine sand as a substrate) when they take their food some of this sand may be taken in too. This could cause complications later on and the sand could even house parasites and old poop which you don't want your snakes taking in! Rather feed them both in their own tubs on newspaper or no substrate what so ever. This way not only will they avoid taking in sand but when ever you open their enclosure they won't automatically think "Food!!" which means they won't strike out thinking your hand is holding food.
I hope this helps
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MJ Fourie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm

Thanks man!
Was thinking of doing away with the sand anyway. What substrate do you recommend for them?
MJ Fourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:42 pm

That substrate is fine and most guys use it that keep sand boas, just don't feed them on it and they will be happy. :)
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MJ Fourie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Can anybody please help! Is this sand boa gravid or not?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJ Fourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:53 pm

Technically she wont be gravid ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm

I disagree with marcbt about feeding on sand. I have never had any problems doing so. They live on sand in nature, and eat on the sand too. As for removing them from their enclosures, I feel they should be fed where they are comfortable. These snakes are ambush hunters and will lie in wait for their prey. If they are unceremoniously lifted from their hiding place and put into a feeding cage, they may feel threatened and not eat. Rather just house them separately until mating season. Males are almost always worse feeders than females and such a large meal may well be regurgitated.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Fooble wrote:Technically she wont be gravid ;)
Why is that fooble?
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 am

She does look gravid although I have given up on live bearers. I even had sonars done where you could see the eggs inside her and a year later I am still waiting. I believe that snakes were gravid when I see babies popping out of her.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Carpetpythons » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 am

You don't make them cold enough bushviper. They have lots of babies if they are cooled properly! Not to say you are doing it wrong, but don't give up yet! You should have lots of practice with those retics of yours.
Carpetpythons
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Just be sure to keep your male warm after a big meal that size, it could be too big to regurgitate should it start to rot inside him.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

I suppose you have more experience with these snakes S4A so i'm not going to argue. I just thought that with most snakes a common rule is not to feed on the substrate unless it is newspaper or a substrate that cannot be taken in. I guess there are always exceptions.
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MJ Fourie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks for all the comments! I do appreciate! The male is fine and look like he already digested the big meal and going to shed soon. I do agree with snakes4africa on the feeding method, thanks. My sandboas rarely strike and I have never been biten by one of them.
MJ Fourie
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to African pythons & boas