What on earth is my Sand Boa DOING?

What on earth is my Sand Boa DOING?

Postby Bianca » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Hi there!

My Sand Boa has been very active lately, she's been climbing up and over her drift-wood, instead of usually lying under the sand. I thought it was great because I get to see her more often, but tonight she started doing something i've never seen her do! She started 'burrowing', but not the burrowing we see them do everyday. She was actually pulling and pushing sand to make a little 'cave', if you like, under the driftwood.

Is this normal? Could she be too hot inside her tank?

I've uploaded a video on youtube. If you watch for a while I move out and you can see her setup. Her heating pad is at the far right hand corner.

(I took it on my phone, sorry for the bad quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6dcMn_QlOU
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What on earth is my Sand Boa DOING?

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:21 pm

Where is her heat source? Possibly she is getting too hot?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bianca » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:29 pm

That's what I thought. She has a small heating pad at the right hand corner of her tank. The rest of the sand is pretty cool and quite deep. I was never worried before but i'll make a plan to get her temps more regulated.

Thanks!
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boskobra » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm

According to what I know Sand boa's should not have a heating pad in, but basking laps instead to provide them with heat.
If she gets to hot they tend to go for hiding under the sand, but now she can't because the heating pad is there, I think you should rather just take the heating pad out and replace with a basking lamp.

I stand to be corrected.
"Winners are losers who got up and gave it one more try. "

Eben Keet
Boskobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:48 pm

I've seen the Molesnakes doing that. It was very entertaining and clever but i didn't get to take a video. Mine was doing it to create a proper home under the flowerpot.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bianca » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:04 pm

See, the heating pad is very small. The smallest you can get. She has plenty of space where there isn't a heating pad. I've pushed my finger into many different places in her tank and there are cold spots, cool spots, and warm spots. I have also heard from many people that lamps are not a good idea in snake tanks. I'd rather have a heating pad.

I did think she was just trying to create a little 'hide', as the driftwood is a new addition, so I guess she could be making the most of it.

I'm going to monitor her temps anyway, just to be safe.

:)
Bianca
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:12 pm

That is very interesting and 'clever' behavior. If the rest of the sand is cool, then I don't think the heating pad is an issue. As you say, she is probably enjoying and exploring the new 'furniture'.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 pm

Yeah the heating pad should not be under her tank. Place it against the side if you want to or get a basking light. Connected to a thermostat they pose no danger.

Sand boas burrow to get away from heat and then end up getting hotter. If there are cooler spots it might not be that though.

Look to see if there are not other factors bothering her. Mites? New substrate? Vibrations from the surrounding area?

Put in something flat for her which will not fall and crush her but can provide a place that she can burrow under and still feel something touching her back. A light piece of wood (plywood) with a support nailed to one side and placed on the ground might give her better security and then she is not under the sand.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gartersnake » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:28 pm

I use those small infrared lights, also known as down-lights so it heats one direct spot and the rest of the tank is cool, just my 2c.
gartersnake
SA Reptiles Member

Return to African pythons & boas