BP - Feels really dry and rough

BP - Feels really dry and rough

Postby Tina89 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi Everyone,

I received a BP from this guy. The snake is a year and a half and about 600 long. As soon as I saw him I realized hes not 100%. He had no heat source and was in a mesh top tank so low humidity as well.

I need help on the following.. He seems "pap" and he has old shed stuck to his body and head. I took some photos of his scales but I cant get the photos to upload. They seem hurt and they stick to my skin when he moves along my hand/arm. He feels very dry and made this wheezy sound tonight. Its like a cough? I know snakes can't cough but I don't know how else to explain it. What must I do for him? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tina89
SA Reptiles Member

Re: BP - Feels really dry and rough

Postby krah » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Hey there

So Im no expert, but from what you say it sounds like hes super dry which is causing the scale issues and may have a respiratory infection(wheezing is a sign of that) which is caused by the humidity being too low. Sometimes this can be rectified by pumping the temp and humidity up high, but I would suggest a trip to your local vet.
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Winston Churchill.

Pastel BP 0.1.0
Firefly BP 1.0.0
Spider BP 1.0.0
Normal BP 0.1.0
Pied BP 1.1.0
Axanthic het pied BP 0.1.0
Banana BP 1.0.0
Albino Corn 0.1.0
Beardies 1.1.0
krah
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tina89 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:45 am

Hi krah

Thank you. I thought it might be something like that. I will book an appointment with the vet today.
Tina89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Deano » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:40 am

Hi Tina89,

yes get him to the vet first thing to sort out the respitory infection. What are you currently housing him in? He needs to be in a plastic tub (remember air holes) with a hot spot (belly heat source provided by a normal foil heat mat) between 31 and 33 degrees celsius. Use a substrate such as coconut husks that can keep moisture in his enclosure. This will help with shedding.

Good luck
1.0 Bumble Bee
1.0 Fire Fly
1.0 Calico
1.0 Specter
1.0 Pastave het Ghost
0.1 het Ghost
1.1 het Clown
0.1 VPI Axanthic
0.1 Vanilla
0.1 Enchi
0.1 Butter
0.1 Bling Yellow Belly
0.1 Black Pastel
0.1 Pinstripe
Deano
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:43 am

Hi.
If you just bought that snake i would bring it back to the previous owner and demand my money back.
RI is a serious condition,you will have to give injections,vet bills and it will most likely reappear it some stage.
Not something you wanna deal with starting out in the hobby!
Please don't get me wrong,i'm all for helping and rescuing animals-but this one clearly isn't on you.
The previous owner might end up thinking it's ok to sell on animals that are sick and need medical attention.
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Vinzy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:22 am

Unfortunate situation - Sorry to hear. The RI definitely needs a vet job. If he's got old shedding on him and seems dry. Put him in a tub with 2 towels and warm (not hot) water in and let him soak for about 30 minutes - Should at least make the poor guy feel a bit better and will also get that excess skin off.
Vinzy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tina89 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks for the replies.

When I went to check on him this morning, he actually shed in the night. There was a small bit stuck on his side so I will definitely try the towels and warm water. He had old shedding on his head and in a few places but that all looks like it came off now. I didn't want to disturb him too much so I must still check those lifting/sticking scales out properly.

Deano, I am getting a plastic tub this afternoon, temp is good and I'm using coconut husk. I've also made him a hide box with sphagnum moss.

Slangkop, I didn't pay for him, he was a rescue. The guy had some story about his wife leaving him and now suddenly he can't take care of the snake. I don't know this guy so I didn't ask further, just took the snake and left :-?

I have an appointment with the vet because I definitely want him checked out.

Thanks so much for all the input :)
Tina89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slangkop » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Is the snake eating?
Slangkop
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tina89 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:29 pm

The guy said he fed him about two weeks ago and I have only had him a couple days so wanted to let him settle. So I was thinking that I will feed him now since he shed and surely he must be hungry. I will have to see if he eats
Tina89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Creepy Critters » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Tina89 ,
just a suggestion , if your vet diagnoses it as RI , speak to him about nebulizing before you commit to a course of anti biotic.
Regards ,
Kyle
Creepy Critters
SA Reptiles Member

Return to African pythons & boas