Photographic Challenge?

Please try include your camera settings with your photos where possible.

Postby Hemachatus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Armata, what Panasonic do you have?

Alexander, to give you an idea of the massive costs of equipment, I recently got quotes for a new complete Carbon Fiber Tripod for a proffesional video camera. For a tripod suitable to carry up to a 15kg camera the quote was just shy of R 70 000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, you read correct, Seventy Thousand
Hemachatus
SA Reptiles Support

Postby armata » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 am

R70,000! - I hope that included the head as well!.
I used to have a Sachler fluid head, beautiful piece of gear.
Now its stills with the Nikon D200 and F5.

The little video camera is a Panasonic GS200 - very handy for recording happy herping like my first armata in 2003!!! And some nice Cape cobra behaviour just sitting there filming them going about their daily lives.

When I see some of the rubbish they put on TV re snakes I am tempted to go and do something on my own. Perhaps we should work on a programme idea that doesn't involve leaping on snakes and getting bitten etc etc. Also get the facts right!
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby alexander » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:52 am

70 000 is a bit steep for my lowly pocket money lol.
Armata, care to share that video with us?
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:25 am

I am in my last year studying cinematography at AFDA “school of motion picture”. We use the ARRI-SR as well as several other old fashioned film cameras all the time, its a great piece of equipment and its never failed me, and BTW they still have allot of value and I mean allot.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:54 am

I am glad to hear that because it is so sad when you such lovely equipment going for peanuts in the UK. A friend in the UK was offered just three thousand pounds for his Arri SR - he is now just sitting on it, plus his lenses, tripods etc.

The Arri SR and the Aaton are the tools for blue chip wildlife movies which just are not being made anymore. everything is now presenter lead, and the presenter must be under 30 years of age!!
However, I think this has to change otherwise we are going to be fed pap forever more!
armata

Postby steve » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:12 pm

i agree with you 100%...
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hemachatus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:01 pm

Armata, that R 70 000 was for a Sachtler 3 stage Carbon Fiber, with a ground-level spreader and a Video 15 Fluid Head.

That was also way too steep for me, so I settled for a Chinese version of the Sachtler, the Secced. I just replaced the legs and I am still using my 16 year old Sachtler 7 x 7 fluid head on it.

The Arri SR's are stil used around here on mid-level commercials.
Hemachatus
SA Reptiles Support

Postby armata » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 pm

I have just realised I still have an old 150mm Ronford head with short and tall legs plus a tracking system - this all lying in a buddie's garage in the UK!! I had quite forgotten. Oh yes, and an old Arri ST with three mags, and an old clockwork Bolex. Blimey I am getting old!!!!
armata

Postby steve » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:58 pm

hey armata if you ever manage to get that equipment back to S.A i would be more then happy to buy it off you?
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hemachatus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:17 pm

My first underwater shoot was with an old Bolex!!

The Arri St was the one with the turret lthat could take 3 lenses?

We used the ST quite often in Crash boxes and Flame Boxes during stunts and crashes.

I came across my old Clapper-Board a few weeks ago, then It struck me that I have been doing this for half my lifetime already.

Oh yeaaaa, apologies to the other members, seems I hijacked this whole thread.
Hemachatus
SA Reptiles Support

Postby moby302 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Canon 400D as opposed to the 350D, I know its not in the same class as some of the camera's discussed, but its more in my price bracket. I am reluctant to get the 400D as I feel it is a just a zooped up 350D, which I have, but unfortunately dropped during a frantic dash to get a train photo. Alternatively, and in more or less the same price range, what would you suggest, I would prefer to stick to Canon as I have the 300mm lens. 40D for example?

Thanks
moby302
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:56 pm

don't get the 400D if you have the 350!!!!! rather spend your money on glass...lenses do not devalue or outdate like camera bodies....rather wait for a new camera later on... 40D is really good tho!

ah just seen you camera broke lol...ok get 40D! :D yeah the 400D is just a 10mp 350 in my book. Have taken pics with my 350D that are way nicer than peoples 400D. shot a 20D over december period, was very impressed so the 40D should be sick!
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moby302 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:41 am

Hi Drummer
I did'nt actually break the 350D TG, it fell on the side where the little +'s are, the focussing points, and those don't seem to work anymore, it still takes okay photos, just wish I had had it insured, it has clocked over 3 times already so a good service would proberly not be a bad idea, I went and had a look at a lens the other day, 2nd hand, Sigma 500mm, monster of a thing, would have needed a tripod for it and not the camera, should have got it but something held me back, probably the thought of clambering up hills trying to carry it.
moby302
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Photography