Californian visiting the North Cape in Oct

Californian visiting the North Cape in Oct

Postby Rothdigga » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 am

Hopefully I'm putting this request in the right section.
I'm travelling to Kimberley to work/judge a big skateboard contest from Sept 30-Oct 2. I'm not letting the opportunity pass while in SA, so I want to find as much herps as I can while I'm there (and animals in general). Obviously having never been there I've got some questions. Any help would be amazing and I would be more than willing to give you a great tour of our Southern California deserts to find stuff if you're ever out this way (Los Angeles or anywhere nearby for that matter).
Hiking around Kimberley- any areas I can just hike in the mornings to look for stuff? Message me if you don't want to blow up your spot.
Road Cruising- again, any roads I can take off on in the evenings/nights while I'm in the city area?

I plan on sticking around for 5-7 days after and initially I figure I'll drive over to Augrabies so that I can hike and find some animals/reptiles/birds. Should I try to spend my whole time there and just focus on that part or should I limit the Augrabies to 2-3 days and go somewhere else?

I'm a pretty regular poster over at our herp forum in the states and ONLY shoot photos. Rarely have I even bothered handling animals unless I'm getting them off the road for protetction. If you care to see any photos of my local stuff or other things I've shot while travelling, it's here...http://www.flickr.com/photos/rothdigga/sets/72157625788234553/ I linked to the herp set but I've got others broken down by trips.

I'm so hyped up to be travelling to SA, if anything just to find a Cape Cobra somewhere would make the trip.
Thanks,
Jason
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Californian visiting the North Cape in Oct

Postby nvlooi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 am

HI Jason

Well you are going to be in SA during a perfect time to find reptiles, especially in the warmer areas such as the NC.
This is a crucial time for many snakes as the males are very active for breeding, that is why so many are killed on roads and the smugglers head up there for collections that time of year.
I think you have it spot on for your ideas of looking for reptiles, early morning and late afternoon hikes.
The Augrabies area is in a National park, if you want to scratch around there please do not damage the area.
The nature officials are very ctive in teh park and will cuase trouble if they suspect anything out of the ordinary.
Augrabies has a stunning variety of lizards, it is not very easy to find snakes in that area.

As for RC, you will see alot of different snakes and geckos and some stunning scorpions.
Be carefull for RC as it is in a sense "not legal"...

You will definitly see Cape cobras.

Regards,
H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby justinvBreda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Jason.
I am going to be travelling to the Maloof Money cup myself..I skate myself for years..and been keeping snakes for most my life..it will be a first for myself to be in the province so I am more than happy to go herping with you if you are keen?
justinvBreda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 am

Working up there for the Maloof now thats rad.
I work in the Skate Industry myself here as well of course being an avid field herper.
As Nvlooi mentioned the legalities around Road cruising and collecting even photographing is a touchy subject in that area.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Eyelash » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:47 am

Yeah !

It must be amazing to judge a contest like that ?

I cant wait for it !I'll def. be there for the Maloof myself !
It will be great to join up with you guy's...Just let me know when and where and I'll be there haha...p.s Are you guy's taking the train or driving Justin ?

Regards.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

Can I ask if you are Jason Lee? The guy known to us as Earl in "My name is Earl"?
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby justinvBreda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Louis, I will be travelling with the Plankie guys in convoy..I don't know what the proper arrangements are as of yet
But I will find that out closer to the time. Should be a good road trip for us! We want to film at spots on the way down to get more
Footage. Jason if you keen just let me know via PM or a reply here.
justinvBreda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rothdigga » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I'm pumped that so many people are going up for the contest. I guess you guys don't get a ton of pro contests out that way, so why not make a road trip up to it, right?
Nvlooi- good to know I'm going at the perfect time. Crazy about road cruising but I understand if there's been a ton of poaching they have to assume the worst for everything.
Justin- I will totally take you up on the herping opportunity. We'll keep in touch and come up with some sort of a plan as it gets nearer the event. I don't know what my schedule is going to be like but I'm guessing I'll have time in the mornings or maybe thursday before or monday after the event.
Fooble- I'll try to stick with more hiking than road cruising, even though it's much tougher to find stuff, anything I find will obviously blow my mind so I'm cool with it.
Eyelash- It's super fun to judge, I've been doing it for 10 years or so now. Good to know that a lot of skaters are going to be making the trek. I'm amazed that all you guys are into herping too. A lot of the guys here that I know are down for nature, but mostly it's road trips and beer drinking rather than actually getting out there and seeing stuff.
Seaborne- unfortunately for my bank account, no, I'm not Jason Lee. My last name is Rothmeyer. We were pro during the same era and I actually grew up skating and watching him around here in SoCal for a long time, he's in my top 3 of all time skaters.

Thanks again everyone and we'll keep the discussion up about anything skating/herping until I roll over there.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby justinvBreda » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:56 pm

Awesome Jason! There is a lot of beer drinking and other alcohols for that matter..but as you said, not many skaters are into nature as we are and more specifically snakes..glad to see that some of the US skaters are keen too..do you know the line up of pro's coming? Because for a SA skater its quiet a big deal when you guys come here. If you want to take our conversation privately its cool, I just don't want to turn. The topic to a Thrasher type discussion where no one can follow..also let me know how I can contact you more directly closer to the contest if that's cool?
justinvBreda
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rothdigga » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 am

Thanks again Justin and everyone for the comments. I'll keep checking and if anyone has anything to add via this post or PM just hit me up. I'm totally appreciative for the info and can't believe how many skateboarders are lurking on here and going to the contest as well as into going herping. So amazing! Can't wait to come to your country. I'm off to Copenhagen and Amsterdam tomorrow but wish I was already on the way to SA.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kevin Lancaster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:55 am

I'm going to go slightly off topic here to highlight for me what is interesting about this thread. I'm ‘gob smacked’ at how a Reptile Forum on the Southern Tip of Africa can bring together people, continents apart, who not only love Herps, but also share a passion for other things. In this case skateboarding. For me it really shows the power of the internet and how we are truly becoming a Global Village.
Lastly I would like to tell you guys just how jealous I am, that I will not be able to join you on your trip to what I believe to be the most beautiful part of our wonderful country, the Northern Cape.
“Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” - Matthew 10:16
Kevin Lancaster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rothdigga » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Kevin,
It truly is amazing, isn't it? The funny part will be when I request a bunch of guest passes for the contest for everyone I see from meeting on this that I'll hook up and they're going to ask me "how do you have friends in South Africa". It'll be a long story, but a good one nonetheless.
Sorry you won't be up there for the herping or the skating.
Rothdigga
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:23 am

Hey man,glad you made it to S.A reps! See told you this is a good place. :-)
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Northern Cape