Kimberley Rep's

Re: Kimberley Rep's

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm

I have found a hatchling water monitor in the entrance to a mound in the past.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Amphibian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Should we be encouraging the "tipping" of mounds?
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:21 pm

No in my opinion, because even after the termites leave there are still animals who shelter in them. The only mounds I would consider tipping would be ones that are on a property that will be developed soon, it will happen in any case then so you might as well do it yourself and relocate the animals you find.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Amphibian wrote:Should we be encouraging the "tipping" of mounds?

Not at all.

Should we be encouraging flipping rocks not really. In some area's you can see 100's of mounds and selecting a few out of the abandoned ones is not going to cause some huge negative impact.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Amphibian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:13 pm

You flip the rocks they are still there to be utilized as shelters.
I have been returning to a single hill side to flip the same rocks for more than 15 years now and always produce good results.
The same cannot be said for termite mounds that have been flipped, unfortunately they will be nothing more than a brown stain in the grass after the first heavy rains come through.
In my very humble opinion it is a probably not a very responsible practice as termite mounds are prodominatntly utilized during the coldest winter months and the snakes that are found are often not wanted and are simply released into the veld even though it is way to cold for them to be exposed.
The idealic sinario of selecting a few out of hundreds and then going home with the result is not something that i honestly cant see playing itself out.
If you are a younger chap with very little finance for purchasing snakes to feed the addiction we all have you might see the opportunity to catch a specific animal as something that cannot be passed and you select a few mounds to search and you either don't find it and continue to look till you do or either you find it and the blood rush starts and all day carnage ensues.
Often snakes are stabbed and killed and young inexperienced collectors can clear an area out of literally hundreds of snakes in a single day.
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:24 pm

True i see what you are saying, but the same time ive been out with some inexperienced herpers who flip rocks and let them roll down the hill or chip at rocks exfoliating flakes and opening cracks like coke cans.

Damage all in the same idea. Not everyone is a GOOD practising herper.
In my opinion if you are going out to collect you shouldn't be going out at all.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Doug Anderson » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:40 pm

have you ever found scorpions in the Kimberly area? If so, do you know what species?

I am also curious is anyone has found scorpions in the Free State - again what species?

Thanks
Doug Anderson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kimberleysucks » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:40 pm

greetings.

I was just wondering about something. I don't know if it's posted on the correct place. But what the hell ?

Well. I live in Kimberley in the Northern Cape. And well, recently bought myself an American corn and have had many skinks. Unfortunately in Kimberley there aren't pet-stores that provide for reptiles. I was wondering if there is any other people from Kimberley browsing this forum? Could I get into contact with you somehow? I sometimes need advice and stuff which isn't necessarily available on the internet.

I also noticed last night while on google that there's people who tip stones and such here? I want in! =) hahaha. I would really love more snakes or lizards. And have fun whilst doing so. Could anybody help with information ?

Thank you, any information would be greatly appreciated.

André.?

Thank you, any information would be greatly appreciated.

André.
I am the voice of those who cannot voice their views.
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hantam » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 pm

Go to the McGregor Museum and get hold of a lady with the name Beryl Wilson she should be able to help you
To herp or not to herp that is the question
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kimberleysucks » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 pm

thanks Hantam. I did phone , they said she's on sick leave. Shall re-try some time in the following week.

Updates - my corn died (suspected drowning or overheating) .. My own stupidity. But we learn out of our mistakes, right ? Sad that it needs to be at the loss of a reptile. I'm now seeking a new reptile, unfortunately I am broke. Guess I'll tip a few rocks at a nearby field. Maybe I find a brown house or something. If anybody is reading this. When is the best time to tip rocks ? Which time, season etc?
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:36 pm

kimberleysucks wrote:thanks Hantam. I did phone , they said she's on sick leave. Shall re-try some time in the following week.

Updates - my corn died (suspected drowning or overheating) .. My own stupidity. But we learn out of our mistakes, right ? Sad that it needs to be at the loss of a reptile. I'm now seeking a new reptile, unfortunately I am broke. Guess I'll tip a few rocks at a nearby field. Maybe I find a brown house or something. If anybody is reading this. When is the best time to tip rocks ? Which time, season etc?

You honestly need to look at life a bit more positive and a bit more respect!
If you want to keep a reptile try and be a bit more specific, do some decent research on a species or genus!!
In your part of the country it is not legal to keep any reptiles indigenous or exotic without a permit, thus you can not collect a snake without a permit.

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:45 pm

In all honesty I don't see you fit to keep a snake or any animal for that matter at the moment. Sure we learn from our mistakes but you don't even know what you did wrong and already want another animal to fill the void regardless of species. What makes you think they won't end up the same as the first one? Go save up, do research, get a quality captive bred animal and ensure you can meet all of its needs; it will only do you good. You will not get many if any positive replies with that mentality. Would you rather not wait a bit longer, spend the extra money and get a healthy animal with strong genes whilst resting assured that you did not exploit the environment needlessly?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kimberleysucks » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Wolf777 wrote:In all honesty I don't see you fit to keep a snake or any animal for that matter at the moment. Sure we learn from our mistakes but you don't even know what you did wrong and already want another animal to fill the void regardless of species. What makes you think they won't end up the same as the first one? Go save up, do research, get a quality captive bred animal and ensure you can meet all of its needs; it will only do you good. You will not get many if any positive replies with that mentality. Would you rather not wait a bit longer, spend the extra money and get a healthy animal with strong genes whilst resting assured that you did not exploit the environment needlessly?

You know. I laughed at that rubbish. Exactly who do you think you are? You are nothing. You do not practise what you preach. Otherwise you'd know, there is no decent genes in any of the exotic animals bought in my town. It's constant inbreeding at local pet-stores just to fill the demand. Oh, and you know. I actually did do some research. And realize that she died of respitory infection. Due to the sand that the idiots at the pet-store put in the breeding box. So before judging people, you should face facts and lose the god-complex.

Have you never lost a reptile? It was completely out of my hands. But thanks to egotistical pricks like you, people get put off reptiles. I WILL get a new friend. And you WILL NOT discourage me. I'll probably be banned for texting this. But it's alright :smt018
kimberleysucks
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:22 pm

A respiratory infection from the breeding box due to sand??? What is a breeding box, i would love to know. and why did you have one in your enclosure?

No decent genes? How long have people been breeding exotics in Kimberly? I could make a joke about inbreeding of people in Kimberly..but i wont.

Relax man, people here jsut hate reptiles being used and killed...especially when you admit it is to just fill a void. You also admit to being broke several times...that means an animals well being will never be able to be priority. You have also admitted intent to go and rape reptiles from the wild which will also get people angry here.

Everyone is just trying to help put you in the right path.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Its not a god complex its just good honest advice; if you can't handle that or see the truth is what Wolf said then maybe you still have a lot to learn. Besides the fact that you've set your mind on a bunch of different causes of death over the last 24 hours, if it was a respiratory infection that caused the death and you are only realising that now then you have a lot to still learn. In the vast majority of cases one should notice the infection developing over time. Yes you should notice this because you should do the research before getting the snake!
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Northern Cape