Spring

Spring

Postby alexander » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Went upt to Springbok and Kamieskroon over the long weekend. Got a slender thread snake (Leptotypholps gracilior), crossed-marked sand snake (Psammorphis crucifer), Bibrons thick toed gecko, some more different geckos (weber's thick toed gecko ect), legless skinks, angulate tortoise, striped skink, girdled lizards, 2 dwarf plated lizards which i failed to catch, as always, spotted sand lizard, a couple toads, ja thats about it. Please feel free to id them properly, i'm not in the mood to look them all up.
what do you think this is?
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mongoose » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:50 pm

Very nice Alex!
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:01 pm

Nice finds Alexander. The Leptotyphlops is great. I am always fascinated by Typhlopoid snakes from arid areas. Is L. gracilior not out of range here? I think you would only find L. occidentalis (spelling) in Springbok/Kamieskroon area?

I think that gecko you are asking about is a Goggia sp. Possibly Goggia rupicola or gemmula?

Regarding Dwarf Plated Lizards: It is so funny how I have seen several and always tried to catch but never could. They're always so fast and dissapear so quickly. I thought that because I had caught a few desert lizards (Meroles (got the scars too)), that no lizard could escape my grasp! I was wrong with Dwarf plated lizards!

Is that lizard in the last pic a Cordylus polyzonus? It is nice and dark. Reminds me of C. niger from Cape town.

Other than that I think the first pic of a legless skink is Acontias lineatus tristus (spelling)? but the second one I am unsure of.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby Leos r gr8 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Some excelent pics, you are very lucky-it must have been a great weekend!
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:09 pm

thanks, i'm not sure about the leptotyphlops, but it was found on the way there, about 2 thirds of the way to springbok. The plated lizards aren't really that fast, but they are hard to predict there next move, and then they just disapear, its happened to me 3 times! If it is C. polyzonus, it is a juvenile, i found ones before and they were over twice the size-i left it unnamed as there are a few different species occuring in that area. when i got the one legless skink i thought it was a dwarf burrowing skink, but it seems to be a legless skink?
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi Alex

Don't suppose you got a sample from the Acontias? rubida is looking for samples.
That Scolopendra centipede is amazing, be careful with them, they hurt!!
What were the flowers like, was your dad with you?
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby alexander » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:56 pm

no, sorry. How do you get a sample from them?
The flowers were ok, but we were a bit early for some of the prettier flowers.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Northern Cape