Limpopo Frogs and toads.

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Limpopo Frogs and toads.

Postby kinghero » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi all.

Please help me, my family stays in Thabazimbi close to the warm baths in the limpopo. Thus I go there a lot :smt006
It's really nice to see the wildlife and all, but I want to go look for frogs and toads and stuff.

How ever I dont know much about them. Could any of you please give me tips on how to find them and how to look for the.
Also if any one could give me names of frogs that would be easy to find and hard to find ( i will look on google with the name for pictures to help me ID them as im surching ).

I promise to take pics of all my findings and post them on here. :lol: :lol:

Thanx to any one that is willing to help.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Limpopo Frogs and toads.

Postby BushSnake » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:49 pm

We've counted 13 species from Thabazimbi in one evening, so you should have lots of fun finding frogs, although you will probably have to wait for some good rains first. The most common species that I can think of now were:

Raucous toad
Guttoral toad
Red toad
Olive Toad
Banded rubber frogs
Bubbling Kassina
Natal Sand frogs
Tremolo Sand frogs
Giant bull frogs
Common Platanna
Common River Frogs
Common Caco (only heard them, so I hope my call identifying skills is alright)
Bushveld Rainfrogs
Foam Nest frogs

The best way of finding frogs is to walk around wet areas at night, using their calls to lead you to the frogs.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Just remember that some snakes are out hunting frogs at the same time. A decent set of gumboots will help that you can go treading about in puddles and should help protect against most snake bites as well. A decent torch is a must however.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby kinghero » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:15 am

Wow 13 species ? i must be honest with you i lived there for 7 years an i only saw 3 or 4 frogs and they didnt differ in any way, but then again i never got to look at them as my mother is so afraid of them the one day she almost stabed me with a bread knife because i wanted to show the one frog to her, lol

But im going next weekend and ill see what i can find all also go back when the rain has come.

I cant wait, and all these names will help so much,

Thank you again for the help.

Edit: Ok I forgot to ask this, should I rather look close to the river or a dam? Because mom and dad lives close to the river and then there is a dam or meer or what ever you wana call it ( name = molatedi ) not to far as well. This is in the mountans with out a lot of people there.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:35 am

Still standing water is generally better for most frogs, so the dam would be better than the river. But along the river you'll also find a lot of things. You'll probably find different things at each site, but I would recommend going to the spot that produces the loudest noise first, so that you can get an idea of what can be found in the area.

BTW - There is a new frog book that is being released next week, so if you are interested, I would just wait a few days and try to get hold of it. I believe it is brilliant, but have not seen it myself! It is called A Complete Guide to the Frogs of Southern Africa. The authors are Louis du Preez & Vincent Carruthers, and it is being published by Struik. It also comes with the calls on a CD, which means that you'll be able to learn more than just what frogs look like!
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake

Postby Mongoose » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:48 am

Its great that you want to go frogging! BS has given good advice(as usual).

I would recommend wearing no shoes or sandals as you often have to go into the water and deep mushy stuff - Great fun.

Do post pictures!
The best things come to those who flip rocks.
Mongoose

Postby kinghero » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks Bushsnake ill see if i can find the book will help a lot. I will also try the dam first and hope to find a lot of frogs.

I will also post the pics of all the frogs i do find.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:04 pm

BS - I got the Frogs and Frogging book earlier this year, it is one of the best field guide books I have and the CD is brilliant because you know what to listen out for - anyone who has gone frogging this is the easier way than just searching.

But as everyone says jut follow where all the noise is coming from (granted there has been sufficient rain) and you good to go. Have fun and be careful of any hot snakes.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Buck Rogers, the Frogs and Frogging book is great, but it has very limited descriptions of most species. I also use that one, together with the Frog Atlas to find out more about frogs (this probably explains my pathetic record with identifying sand frogs ;) ). Hopefully this new book will be a frog equivalent of Johan Marais's Snakes of Southern Africa. Will let you know on Tuesday evening...
BushSnake

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm

Is there a book launch for it on Tuesday evening or are did you just order it? The one I have does have very limited information, I love Johan Marais' new books (Snakes of Southern Africa and Reptiles of Southern Africa) if there was a frog book like that for indig species it would be awesome. Seems like frogs are the ugly step child of the herp community but its definitely growing slowly which is great!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:09 pm

BushSnake, I have that book, but I feel they could have done more though.
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Return to Amphibians