Platanna setup - Help

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Re: Platanna setup - Help

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:33 am

The pump does cause a current. Will put it on a timer. Thanks.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 am

Here I found it on this website http://www.geocities.com/ptimlin/xenopus.html

African Clawed frogs are specifically adapted for stagnant water conditions. Although aesthetically pleasing to the keeper mechanical and/or electrical filtration invariably produces adverse long-term effects on the frogs. Constant water movement no matter how slight is sensed through the highly developed lateral-line system and results in severe stress. The effect is insidious and can be compared to what would happen to a human if (s)he were compelled to live where sandblasters and jackhammers were in use 24 hours a day.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks. Put it on a timer that begins at 5 in the morning. It is then 1hr on 1 1/2hrs off till 8 at night and then it is off till 5 again. Hope this is enough to keep the tank clean for the fish and not harm the frog.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:15 am

The water has cleared (mostly) and the platanna is in it's new home. The filter is on a timer. Took the photos while it was on so that you can see the flow etc.

Here is the tank and setup:

And here is Plat Padda (The platanna's name. My son could not say platanna at age 3...)

Thanks for the all help. Hope this is a good setup for him.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:25 am

Looks good! Thats gonna be one happy frog...
@LD - For interest sake, check out this oldish thread, you might find it interesting viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14215&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=albino
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks Fredsmith.

Nice! Hmmm... Maybe I should not have seen that. Now I am thinking; "New Breeding Project"!! (BV - got any still?). There is more than enough space...

Will have to leave that up to my son though. His animals are his. He pays for 1/2 their food a month (1/3 on the hamsters food else he would not have anything left lol!). If he wants more (and I think this will be yes) then he has to first check his budget. Teaching him young.

Though that does not mean I can't get some of my own in the mean time. Will pay rent for them in the new platanna palace...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Legless could you put me on the list for any offspring you might produce?
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:02 pm

Mgiddings - If I get any then they will be all normals. Going to see if BV still has the albinos. But lets first check if I can start a colony or not. Will keep you in mind.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:20 pm

ok, where did you get yours?
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:30 pm

Petshop. They were selling them as bait for fisherman. My Hubby is still threatening to 'put the frog to better use' lol!
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:03 pm

Most tackle shops will have them. Like R2 each.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:55 am

Serpy. Then they ripped me off. I paid R5 (hehehe). I did however have a blurry eyed kid hanging on my arm with the coin in his hand asking "Kan ek?" (Can I). Around here it is the petshops that sell them. The bait and tackle shops don't. Still the best pet we have though. Managed to live with a 3 year old! Kinda part of the family now. Wouldn't sell it for R500!
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Sweet man. My son also had some, and as time went by some died, eventually he had 2 left. About 2 years ago, before we moved, I decided to put them in our empty swimming pool (empty meaning had rain water in - and LOTS of mosquito larva). They have bred and now we have hundreds of frogs. My son has worked out that if he can sell them for R100 each, he can buy me a house... he didn't quite understand that they are worth R5 at the most. Kids!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Hehehe... Told mine that he could have more now that we have a bigger setup. He asked if they will have babies. I said yes. He looked at me then said: "Ek kan baie geld maak!!!"(I can make lots of money). Lol! Kids!
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:14 pm

Ps - All the fish are gone except one. Now the platanna seems to be very interested in the water snails...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Amphibians