Frogs anyone?

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Frogs anyone?

Postby Bernice » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:49 am

Hi there all!

I have had a rather interesting offer from a colleague of mine... they have recently moved into a new house that has an almost empty and rather neglected and scummy pool in the back yard, over the course of the past couple of years (in which the previous home owner did not look after it at all) a rather substantial colony of common river frogs has moved in...

Long story short - My colleague wans to return the pool to working order, there is a very large number of frogs in the pool, she does not want a very large number of frogs in the pool, and have offered them to me and anyone on the forum with hungry frog eating reptiles... those that are not to be used as 'feed' can be relocated to some other more suited habitat.

Who's interested? (both in getting frogs, or lending a hand evacuating the pool)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Frogs anyone?

Postby iiviii » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 am

I don't have any Frog eating Snakes, but I would be keen to give you all a hand if you are in the East London area?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shneaky » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 am

where is the evacuation needing to take place???
Don't count me out coz I may be a bit of a black sheep... rather count me in coz I may be the difference...
shneaky
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am

Oh sorry! Their house is in Lyttelton Manor in Pretoria...

If there are people willing to help with the evacuation, please let me know so that we can organize... The complete evacuation of all the frogs will probably not happen immediately as they are still wanting to get a new pool pump, and other issues with the house need more urgent attention... but it would be nice to know if there are people willing to help?

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:52 am

There are plenty of those around here, and i have a wonderful pond they can be released in if needed, but I don't know if it's such a good idea to move them so far. Is there not a stream in the area where they can be released? How bout the moreletta spruit or hennops??
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Hi mailjvdb!

where in PTA are you? I was thinking a healthier stretch of the Moreleta might work nicely...

Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm situated very close to Onderstepoort V/H. That aughta work great! But I'm here for a back-up spot if needed.

I count at least 5 - 10 around my pond every night. There is also a seasonal stream at the bottom of our property they would love, and there are probably a lot down there. I love frogs! I have a wild, but tame Red Toad that comes into the house at night and I feed him by hand :)
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians