Feeding platannas

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

Feeding platannas

Postby Zeiphex » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:59 am

Typing this from my phone so here's hoping it works... Anyway, I have 6 platannas and a large goldfish in a 150L tank with two 800L/h canister filters and one 600L/h canister filter (two have spray bars so as so lessen the vibrations, which xenopus are very sensitive to). I have had these frogs since december last year. I am noticing that out of my four adult/near adult frogs, 3 are looking very skinny around the middle despite eating well. I feed tropical flakes, tetra-prima, koi pellets, and last week started using frozen bloodworm and frozen lancefish again, as i had moved and not had a chance to get any for a while. Like i said, these frogs eat well and i hand-feed to make sure they all get their share. Why would they be getting skinny like this? Is their diet not balanced enough? I have read that Tetra Reptomin sticks are good for them, but i have no idea where i would get these - pretty sure a LFS/LPS would not stock it. None of the frogs are ill - besides the skinniness they are all super healthy. Any ideas? :S
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Feeding platannas

Postby Fooble » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:41 am

Try feeding them small fish like guppies even Neo tetras.
Remember natural diet is always best for animals even with all of the alternatives out there.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Shaun P » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Yes guppies go well, neons are a little to fast for them though. I also feed mine freeze dried tubifex and shrimp, along with tetra discus, bloodworms and spirulina/shrimp wafers. You can even try some crickets.

Regards Shaun
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:14 am

I feed my platannas crickets, on top of everything else, it seems to keep them fat and healthy.
I buy small and medium crickets every other week and just trough them in to there tank, you now when the platies are full when they stop eating.
I also feed them brine shrimp, daphnia, blood worms frozen and live.

I have a feeding schedule with them, they get feed every 3rd day.
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zeiphex » Thu May 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for the help, guys :) I will try to get hold of some other foods. They do love the lancefish and bloodworm though, maybe I am just not feeding them enough of it...
Zeiphex
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Joh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 pm

I used to feed mine some chicken liver, if they were looking to skinny. Too much of it isn't good, because it can cause fat to build up around their hearts. But, if you feed small pieces to them every once in a while, they don't get as skinny.
The one aspect that people try to remove from naturalism, and that is to me the most important, is prayer. Without Prayer I would not have managed to do half the things that I have done successfully.

A small colony of Oxyhaloa dubia, two Tivia sp., an unidentified species of Cockroach, 8 tadpoles, 3 dogs, 4 cats, a budgie, and some other random animals.
Joh
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Amphibians