My first dutch herp!

Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and Toads.

View Gallery

My first dutch herp!

Postby Freddy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:18 pm

So, settling in to my new life here in Holland, weathers great, you dont have to wait for winter or summer, you have all four seasons in one day! :-? I am now working at a tree nursery, very fun, and the next best thing to working with animals. And, low and behold, look what I found whilst working!! He was only around 2,5cm long, and very fragile. He's now living in the garden by us... I must add that I am pretty chuffed with my find!

Fixed - BB
Religion is for those who fear hell,
Spirituality for those who have been through it

Its something unpredictable, but in the end its right, I hope you had the time of your life...
Freddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:02 am

Very nice to see something has survived the development in Europe. I assume that is a newt or salamander but please enlighten us as to which species.

Now is a good reason to build a fishpond so that they can breed in your garden too. ( I assume you are going to get more). Give the pond numerous rocks and pot plants around the edge where insects can hide.

Possibly a light over the pond will attract some insects that can fall into the water.

Now back to this nursery .... what are you growing there? Saffer selling herbs in the Netherlands .......mmmm?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Freddy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 pm

It is a "kleine watersalamder" or common newt(Triturus vulgaris) Apparently they are quite common in these parts, though you seldom find them. They only reach about 10 and a wee centimetre, but can live to their twenties.
BV, if I were to walk straight from the back door, for a metere and a half, Id be in the moat, so I just released him there, in some soil. I am now at about 5m *below* sea-level, so its nearly always wet. And, about my special daisies... Ask no questions, hear no lies....
Religion is for those who fear hell,
Spirituality for those who have been through it

Its something unpredictable, but in the end its right, I hope you had the time of your life...
Freddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:42 am

Okay now dont get caught playing in the dyke.

Hope your agricultural activities ensure the Dutch develop an appreciation for South African plant life.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Amphibians