Question: How long does a boomslang take to shed it's skin?

Question: How long does a boomslang take to shed it's skin?

Postby Pauline » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 am

Hi,

Just a Question: How long does a female boomslang take to shed it's skin?

I spotted one in a tree next to the house yesterday (90% sure it was a female boomslang) and had a snake guy come catch it, but we lost sight of it (and it was not caught) and so it's now living in a huge tree next to the house :)

Then this morning, my daughter found a snake skin (shedded) near her garage door as she left this morning. (Same side as tree where snake was seen)

Just wondered how long the snake has been in the area to shed.

Thanks very much.
You guys are always to informative and helpful - hugely appreciated.

p.s. I'll get a pic of the skin tonight when I get home. (hopefully you can confirm the species as well, once we have a pic) thanks.

The birds in the neighbourhood went NUTS - every single different type of bird together (even a Knysna Lourie was in the bunch).
Pauline
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Question: How long does a boomslang take to shed it's sk

Postby Warren Klein » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Female Boomslang are normally brown or grey in colour. The actual act of shedding should only take a few minutes to an hour in a healthy snake but there is no telling how long it has been in your garden. Why not just leave the snake were it is, Boomslang are shy and not aggressive and you could happily cohabitate without incident.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Question: How long does a boomslang take to shed it's sk

Postby Pauline » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

I am trying to learn as much as I can about snakes that might appear in my garden. But I have 3 dogs and 3 cats; and I like to garden; and it just scares me that I might put my hand somewhere while gardening and touch a curled up snake in error.

I know that we're on the valley and can expect a variety of snakes; but it's just scary when you see them up close and personal.

The ivy-covered wall next to the tree where the snake was; had quite a big rat sitting on it a few nights ago. So maybe it's hunting these guys.
I'm quite happy with the rat going, although not sure I'm happy about replacing it with a snake LOL :) :)
Pauline
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Eastern Cape