Western Cape and Northern Cape 2013.

Western Cape and Northern Cape 2013.

Postby Lourance Klose » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Over the course of the year I will add a few of the finds I am lucky enough to enjoy. I am fortunate enough to visit both provinces, so I will add all records under one thread.

Red Adder - Bitis rubida.

Horned Adder - Bitis caudalis.
Neonate.

Spotted House Snake - Lamprophis guttatus.

Marico Gecko - Pachydactylus mariquensis.

Brown House Snake - Boaedon capensis.

Fisk's House Snake - Lamprophis fiskii. (unfortunately my second DOR, hopefully the old saying 3rd time lucky works for me).lol.

Austen's Gecko - Pachydactylus austeni.

Quartz Gecko - Pachydactylus latirostris.

Beetz's Tiger Snake - Telescopus beetzii.

Western Dwarf Chameleon - Bradypodion occidentale.

Western Dwarf Chameleon - Bradypodion occidentale.
Lourance Klose
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Western Cape and Northern Cape 2013.

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Some great finds there, Lou.

It's a real art to get flash photography to look good, and seems you have mastered it!

Congrats on all the great finds and I wish you happy herping. Can't wait for future updates on this topic!
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Blake » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Very nice finds. Look forward to seeing more
Blake
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Looking good The Klose :smt023 Liking the House snakes and Chameleons!
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Very nice shots.

I am sure that you will get lucky with a live Fisk's House Snake. Maybe not the third time, but it will come.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Now you go screw up my "auto corrected photos" with your BRILLIANT PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!

WD mate, our luck is def changing for the better!

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Craigh » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:03 pm

Wow! Really amazing photos! Thanks for sharing.

Just a question from a newbie, the snake you labelled as Boaedon capensis, I would have identified as Boaedon mentalis, how would we be able to exclude that possibility? From the location your specimen was found or what?

Regards,

Craig
Craigh
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lourance Klose » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks so much for the kind comments. Henco you got some keepers there yourself.

@Craigh- That Brown House Snake was found in range and would most likely be B mentalis, but to my knowledge it has not been finalized and work is ongoing with the "lamprophis" genus. So until such time that the paper is published and B mentalis is confirmed as a valid species all Brown House Snakes found in Western/Northern Cape will be B capensis.
Lourance Klose
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GOM » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:24 am

Amazing pics..... Thanks for sharing.... Looking forward to more amazing pics!!!!
On the comeback trail!!!! Slowly but surely!!!
1.1.0 Het Pied PR
2.6.0.Normal PR
1.0.0 Pewter PR
0.1.0 Het Clown PR
1.0.0 Lemon Pastel PR
GOM
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am

Lourance another top class post! WOW a Fisk's house snake, good to know they are still around.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wadekilian » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Are Red Adders common where you are? You've had some awesome luck with Dwarf Adders (and in general really).

It's sad that the Fisk's House-snake was dead, but still an amazing find nonetheless.
073 815 4741
BBM - 296fe3c5
wadekilian@yahoo.com
wadekilian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 pm

@ wadekilian

If you count the amount of hours, days, months, kilometers... trail and error in different places to seek for specific species, I would not even answer your question if I was Lourance.

Here is my stupid answer... "All snakes are common in the right area, but he lives in Cape town so they are not common where he is!"

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lourance Klose » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:20 pm

@ wadekilian - As nvlooi said, Bitis rubida is not common where I stay, I travel vast distances in order to find the species that I find. Sometimes I am lucky and sometimes I am not. Again as nvlooi said, most species can be "common" to a particular area.

I believe that the more time spent in the field (in the right conditions) the more chance you have of been "lucky" and finding the desired species. we are not even 3 months into the year and I have already done over 5000km in herping, so far my theory of more time spent equals results is working. I often hear okes saying that they went looking for a certain species but can't find, upon asking how long they searched for it they normally say a couple hours one morning, LOL. I wish I could find all my target species in a couple hours of walking. It took me 2 years and plenty trips to finally find my first Bitis armata.

Hopefully my luck continues and I can continue to share photo's from my journeys.

Thanks.
Lourance Klose
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kfc223 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Amazing shots again Lourance!
kfc223
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Lourance Klose wrote:@ wadekilian - As nvlooi said, Bitis rubida is not common where I stay, I travel vast distances in order to find the species that I find. Sometimes I am lucky and sometimes I am not. Again as nvlooi said, most species can be "common" to a particular area.

I believe that the more time spent in the field (in the right conditions) the more chance you have of been "lucky" and finding the desired species. we are not even 3 months into the year and I have already done over 5000km in herping, so far my theory of more time spent equals results is working. I often hear okes saying that they went looking for a certain species but can't find, upon asking how long they searched for it they normally say a couple hours one morning, LOL. I wish I could find all my target species in a couple hours of walking. It took me 2 years and plenty trips to finally find my first Bitis armata.

Hopefully my luck continues and I can continue to share photo's from my journeys.

Thanks.

A true inspiration to us all! The hard work and dedication pays off, just not when I'm around
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Western Cape