Boomslang.

Boomslang.

Postby Southernprints » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Am I right in thinking this is a female? Most of what I read says they are always brown compared to the male colouring. This Boomslang has taken up residence in the bottlebrush right outside my front door and lounge window as of yesterday so watching it move around is fascinating. She is large and actually climbed over my wall rather dextrously to get into the yard and away from a neighbour who was quite willing to end its life. Have taken some lovely shots of it but this site allows such limited size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Southernprints
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Boomslang.

Postby Bernice » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Yup, I would agree with your assessment that that is a 'she'. :) Lovely!

If i was me, I would carefully install a birdbath and bird feeder nearby... as well as a few bird boxes (for her), to encourage her to stick around :)

Your very own guard snake :)

PS - This is the obligatory side note to please be responsible and careful as she is a VERY dangerous animal
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:17 am

Bernice, I would describe her as highly venomous, but not very dangerous at all ;)
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:02 am

Southern prints, I really admire your approach towards snakes since your first posts and this one does not disappoint.

It is easy for homeowners to become defensive and kill snakes or at least use chemicals to deter them, but you not only leave them be, it seems you promote their presence.

Thanx and well done.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:32 am

Great! Boomslang breeding season is late Jan into February so you may soon have a male joining her!
Problem with neighbours :smt021 is the snake has a large range to move over so yes feed it up well at your place . :D
A.
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Southernprints » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:51 pm

There is nothing more fascinating and secretive than nature happening on your doorstep. A live Nat Geo channel all of my own where no one can change the channel!!!! … and learning so much about something I never knew much about. She has since moved off though but left me with some fantastic photos of her visit. Thanks guys!
Southernprints
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Western Cape