Snake ID Please

Re: Snake ID Please

Postby Westor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:56 am

Can't find a cam her at work and i don not want to use the phone camera again. But i am going to go with the following post viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10133 . I am settling that this is a Purple Gloss Snake except for the coloring.
Thanks for all the input, i would never have figured it out alone.
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God ...than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am

What should i check with the fangs?
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God ...than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am

Dpnt be put off for colouring, some snakes when they die like Bush snakes (green) turn blue when dead.

Becareful playing with fangs you can still get an invenomation form a dead snake.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:01 am

Will do. But i am also going to look for a decent camera quickly aswell.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:51 am

Pics as promised, may be to much but yes, not stilleto as there are no fangs but 2 rows of teeth on the top jaw.

Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:56 am

There is some resmblance to the purple gloss's head scales, but not identical. Also keep in mind that this snake was still moving a bit when it was found, so the color did not fade.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 am

Actual size when measured was 61cm, sorry my bad judgement.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:09 am

Very interesting find. One easy instant tell tale about if it's a stiletto or not is it's long tail... this has a very long tail, def not a stiletto.

That colour is amazing, never seen a purple gloss that colour, it might be hypomelanistic. I would keep with the id of a purple gloss. But i would freeze that baby and get it to someone for a 100% id and some tissue for DNA would be great on that guy. fossorial snakes are always a gem for geneticists.
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:33 am

If tissue is needed, speak up quickly as i am afraid the ants will devour it at this moment. I do not know anyone in rustenburg with experience in that dep. Tips?
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:35 am

Also did you notice that the head scales do not match up 100% to the purple gloss? There are some large scales missing beneath th top large ones on top of the head?
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby monopeltis » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:36 am

chuck it in the freezer in a plastic bag...
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 am

I will do! Will you be collecting? Lol!
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:08 am

Quickly fetched the DOR. Bagged and placed in the freezer. And????
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:19 am

It will keep in the freezer dont worry, Im sure someone will grab it from you around that area it's a good find.
That colour defiantly looks like something is up!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Does anybody know where it can be sent or where i can take it? Pickup or I will deliver it personally as i am a snake enthusiast and very curious.
What i do most of the time is drive around town and outside town adn remove snakes(living/dead) from our busy roads. This weeks DOR nrs just for 2 nights driving and saving was on count 13 snakes(living/dead). I mean that is amazing cause how are all these snakes going to survive if they die at that rate?? So i thought and am doing something about it on my side. Always educating people where I go about snakes(al of them just want to KILL KILL), Perform snake education at primary schools, talking to parents and my clients and at work(trying to tell them that most snakes are harmless and encounters are rare with venomous and that they should phone me if they want it removed or do not know what type it is). Not all wants to listen and have their own beliefs(sucks). But yeah.

So If if the snake mention above can't be identified for sure please let me know where i can take the DOR for further analysis.

Thank you very much Guys!
Wessel.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to North West