Madikwe Game Reserve Reptiles and Amphibians

Madikwe Game Reserve Reptiles and Amphibians

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:19 pm

I recently spent a few nights in Madikwe and even though I was restricted to TAU lodge and the staff village, I managed to find and photograph some interesting specimens.

I also got an opportunity to catch and release my first Mozambique Spitting Cobra. We were visiting people in another lodge when one of the staff came and called us about a cobra in the laundry. The snake was about 70cm and did not hood nor did it spit and was surprisingly relaxed. Here is an image my brother took while I was releasing it, I would have liked to photograph it in the light but no one wanted it to come back with me.

Despite people seeing a lot of snakes, the only other snake I came across was this Cape centipede eater, I only managed to get this one shot of it. I planned to photograph it in the day, but it escaped through one of the ventilation holes in the tub I kept it in. It squeezed through a very small hole. The snake was about 20cm long and I found it moving about just before a storm began.

The other reptiles I saw a lot of were Yellow-throated plated lizards, Gerrhosaurus flavigularis, they were too fast for me to catch and photograph. I also saw two Rock Monitors, but they also retreated into thick bush and I was unable to follow them.

I did photograph some of the Tree Agamas, Acanthocercus atricollid. These were very common and in the gardens of Tau lodge, they were very tame.

I also found a lot of geckos, there were very many Moreau's Tropical House Geckos, I also found this Cape Gecko, Pachydactylus capensis foraging amongst some rocks at night.

Then I found this very large Velvet Gecko, Homopholis walbergii, I first found it in the late afternoon, and went back later that night to photograph it. These are very beautiful animals, they move slowly and this individual allowed me to approach it very closely.

While on a drive we came across this Flap-neck Chameleon, Chamaeleo dilepis. I never got very good pictures of it as I was rushed to get back into the vehicle. Included amongst these images is one of Mike overcoming his fear of chameleons. He was brought up believing them to be dangerous and now he certainly wont kill the next one he comes across. I included it here because I think it is a great photo and because I was so impressed with his overcoming of prejudice that he asked if he could hold it out of his own free will.

There were also a lot of Leopard tortoises, Stigmochelys pardalis, on the move in the reserve, many different sizes. Here are some, the three larger ones were congregated at a puddle together and were enjoying the water. The small one which was about the size of a cricket ball was moving quickly across the road.

That is it for the reptiles, the rest were some frogs I came across, I am not 100% certain on the IDs I have ascribed to them so please feel free to correct me and help me.

First up I have what I think is an Eastern Olive Toad, Amietophrynus garmani. Note the short blunt snout.

The next two I have I have identified as a Western Olive Toad, Amietophrynus poweri. The first was an adult and the second was a juvenile.

Then I found this frog, I am quite sure that it is a Tandy's Sand Frog, Tomopterna cryptotis, but I would appreciate an expert confirmation.

Lastly I have the highlight of my trip, Schismaderma carens, even though it is a common species, this particular individual was completely blind, or at least there was skin grown over the eyes. While I was photographing it many flying termites were landing nearby and he was eating them, it appeared that it was using hearing to locate the termites. Has anyone seen anything like this before? The toad was full grown and not as fat as the other Red Toads I came across, so the lack of eyesight really was a handicap.

Thanks for looking.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Madikwe Game Reserve Reptiles and Amphibians

Postby Nick Evans » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Can't see the photos :?:
Nick Evans
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi Nick,

The pictures are there, they probably just need time to load.

There are a substantial amount.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lillypod » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Cant see them either
3-1-4 Leopard Gecko
1-1-2 Bearded Dragon
0-1 Brown House Snake
2-3 Ball Python
1-1 Western Hognose
1-1 Kenyan Sand Boa
3-2 Corn Snake
0-0-1 Bosc Monitor
0-1 Taiwanese rat snake
Lillypod
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Let my try and sort it out.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I'll fix the photos, there is this annoying thing service providers do to save bandwidth, they compress the images and then the link changes, looks like this: http://1.1.1.1/bmi/www.sareptiles.co.za ... ambica.jpg
Obviously the 1.1.1.1/bmi is the problem.

Really annoying!
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi thanks mitton,

I just went through them all now and resized, so you dont have to sort them out. Please delete this topic as I started a new one with the fixed images.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

It wasn't the size of the images, the new topic will also not show the images, I'll delete that one as this one is already fixed.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby rvanhuyssteen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks very much Mitton.
rvanhuyssteen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nick Evans » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:35 am

That's better! Nice finds! Like the photo of the guys face while holding the chameleon. :lol:
Nick Evans
SA Reptiles Member

Return to North West