Reptiles of Somabula Nature Reserve

Re: Snake photos, Cullinan area, GP

Postby shadowfoot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Great pictures Chris. That P. semivariegatus is a beautiful specimen. Hope you find many more. Keep us posted on what you find.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks shadow. Bushviper, according to SARCA, auroras have not been recorded for the locus 2528da so il definately submit it. Weve been doing a bit of frogging over the past few weeks and found quite a few species. Post them in the amphibian section?
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm sure you can post them here? Bushviper is the authority so maybe wait for a reply from him.
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Yeah we have place for amphibians as well no problem.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Chris89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:16 pm

I've been putting together species lists for the reserve, hence all the herping and frogging. So we've found the following frog species, mostly at night using sound recordings. Does anybody know of any other species in the area (Reptile or amphibian)? Recorded but not pictured are yellow throated plated lizard and snouted cobra.
Amietia angolensis

Strongylopus fasciatus

Tomopterna cryptotis

Tomopterna natalensis

pyxicephalus adspersus

Cacosternum boettgeri

Kassina senegalensis

Phrynomantis bifasciatus

Schismaderma carens

Amietophrynus gutturalis

Xenopus laevis
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Chris those are some beautiful photo's and great finds.

Great to see someone else appreciating the Amphibians.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby leonthemenace » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:48 am

Hi Chris, nice finds. BV, i grew up in Rayton 8 km from Cullinan. As kids we use to catch the Auroras on a regular basis, they use to be in abundance. Well, to be honest back in the day everything use to be in abundance before developments started. Again, very nice finds Chris. If i may ask, on wich side of Cullinan are you? I asume more to the Boekenhouts side if i look at the vegetation?
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 am

Fantastic finds & great photography! Like the P. bifasciatus shot!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Howzit Leon. We are pretty much directly between Rayton and Cullinan. Vegetation here is transitional between the higher altitude bankenveld to the south and lower Sour mixed bushveld to the north. It’s mostly old agricultural land reverted to ‘grassland’ with some encroachment by Acacia karoo. I presume these fallow lands would have had a greater diversity of grasses herbs and forbs pre-agriculture. They also appear to have been cleared of rocks and stones for ploughing. Rocky koppies and hills are more pristine as they were not utilized but nevertheless have been affected by grazing and burning practices to some extent. More established savannah areas, wetland areas, riparian Celtis africana and afromontane forest patches also occur. I reckon the transitional nature of the vegetation is responsible for the occurrence of herpetofauna more suited to bushveld such as Nucras and Acanthocerus along with species more suited to grassland like Lamprophis aurora. Species with stricter habitat preferences may be excluded altogether. Did you ever find any species in Rayton which have not been mentioned in this post? Funny that there aren’t any Skaapstekers here???
Thanks for the kind comments and have a good one!
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Ok so I may have gotten the ID wrong on that Nucras... Take a look at the markings on the back of this older individual.
Obviously without a scale count it’s all speculation as my field guide reckons holubi can have coral red tails and intertexta can have dorsal stripes. Scale counts may also be inconclusive as there is large overlap between the two species. Intertexta has been recorded for this locus while holubi has not. Holubi has however been recorded two quarter degees to the west. What do you guys and girls think? I suppose it may come down to local colour and marking patterns. Anybody seen both in northern Gauteng?

Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 pm

A few more species, pics and a sad story

Typhlops bibronii
Gerrhosaurus flavigularis male in fancy dress
Boaedon capensis
Pseudoaspis cana juvenile
Psammophis brevirostris brevirostris sub-adult
Causus rhombeatus juvenile
Puffie with a hat
Trachylepsis varia
This Naja annulifera was found in the laundry room at work while i was away in the NC. The staff killed it, which is understandable IMO. When i'm around they always find me to remove reptiles but this was a dangerous situation and they obviously did what they thought was best. It wouldve ducked in time if they opened the doors and all the windows but then they live just next door so where would it have gone from there? Still i've been waiting a long time to catch and photograph one of these.This is only the third one that i know of from over a year on the reserve. All specimens observed here are uniform brown above and olive yellow below. TL estimated from the cracks in the concrete is approx. 1.5m.
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 am

Some really nice finds, just love the mole snake pic.

Just tragic about the cobra.
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sfourie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks for the photos. Just one question, how do you differentiate between a Marsh Terrapin and Hinged Terrapin? I've been studying chelonians for the past month yet I haven't found a definitive difference. Perhaps I am just not looking hard enough.

Regards
A Shangaan legend states that any man resting or sleeping in the shade of a baobab will become eccentric and forever be enslaved by Africa and its wilderness, guess it's too late for me.
Sfourie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Sfourie. I've never seen a hinged terrapin and am certainly not an expert on chelonians. the literature I have isn't very clear on exactly where the hinge is.(head or tail end of the plastron?) Marsh terrapins are a very widespread and common species in S.A. and are the only species that occur in my area. Supposedly the serrated hinged terrapin which is found not far to the north prefers larger water bodies and rivers whereas marsh terrapins can be found in just about any water body (The specimen photographed was found in a small seasonal pan). Hope this helps!

Cheers
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chris89 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am

Naja annulifera juvenile

Pachydactylus capensis
Chris89
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Gauteng