Kruger Trip

Kruger Trip

Postby 8x1 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:04 am

Hi Guys and Girls,

Ill Start by saying I live in Hastings on the South East Coast of England. I keep a very small collection of snakes and lizards.
I am popping over to Skukuza, Pretoriuskop and Satara restcamps in Kruger for a few weeks in March/April with a couple of days in Pretoria.

Could any of you folks recomend places to go/visit and what to look out for whilst im there. Wondering about visiting "Croc City" as someting to do the day we fly back (places keeping crocs etc are few and far between here).

I would love to get some shots of herps, so Im fishing for some local knowledge on whats likley to be about. I am being realistic about my chances of getting the shots in a new coutry in new habitats in well visited areas, but I would like to try whilst Im there.

Any advice will be greatfully recieved.

Cheers

ps. Dont worry Im not going to be playing with anything!
8x1
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Kruger Trip

Postby Pezulu » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Welcome to Sunny SA.

A nice drive in the Kruger is always the road between Lower Sabie and Skukuza.
Unfortunately it is one of the most popular roads, and as such there are usually a lot of cars on the road.

Having breakfast/tea at Afsaal is a must, as well as Lunch at Tshokwane.
Just beware of the dive bombing Starlings.

Places outside of Kruger that you could visit are Gods Window, Blyde River Canyons, Bourkes Luck Potholes, Pilgrims Rest, Barberton as well as the crafts market just outside Mbabane in Swaziland.
2:1 Motley corn
0:1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake
Pezulu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rodwraylva » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:54 pm

My dad is also thinking of going to the Kruger in in 2012 March, April or May, we went in June - July this year, and saw a few snakes in the camps, habit of lifting up stones revealed 5 blind snake and a few scorpions. Good luck with your trip, hope you enjoy it :D
Rodwraylva
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi there & welcome to the forum!
You are staying in some of the best game viewing spots in Kruger. My personal favourite is the road between Orpen & Satara. Seeing as though you will be staying in the park itself, book yourself in for some walks. The Kruger guides are very experienced and you will be safe. Even if you don't see the particular animals that you're hoping for, exploring Kruger on foot is the absolute best way to do it. You can let the guides know that you're interested in reptiles and they may be able to help you out.

Just outside Kruger is an excellent snake parks that is worth a visit:
Khamai Reptile Park - http://www.khamai.co.za/

Another reptile park is Perry's Bridge. I haven't been unfortunately, but I have heard good things:
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=25898&start=0&hilit=perry%27s+bridge
Perry's Bridge - http://www.snakes-uncovered.com/

Enjoy your trip!
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 8x1 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks folks!!!
The other half has been to Afsaal and Tshokwane and experianced the dive bombing, apparently we are headed there!
Snakes uncovered we will be driving past on route to graskop, so we will be popping in there, thanks for that!
And yup there will be the careful probing of the odd rock or two!
8x1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason&Sam » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:56 am

Hi

Kruger Rocks! We have been to Perry's Bridge and it was very nice, the people there are quite personable which helps a lot as well!

Have a great trip!
Jason&Sam
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Gauteng