2 different snakes in the middle of Strubenvale, Springs

2 different snakes in the middle of Strubenvale, Springs

Postby clivebillowes » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Hello All,
I live in a totally built-up area, Strubenvale in Springs, about 40 Km east of JHB. I have had 2 snakes on my property over the last couple of months.

The first being a Rinkhals during the day,I found it dead in the garden after work, on checking the CCTV footage, I found that Indian Minors were the first to spot the snake crossing my driveway. To my surprise they were attacking the Rinkhals, the commotion caught the dogs' attention, a Mongrel and a Boerbull, the small dog also tried to attack. Unfortunately the snake moved out of vie of the cameras where he was killed, I don't know if it was the dog or birds or a combination.

The 2nd was a Thread snake in my bedroom today, I had never even heard of a Thread snake before, and wonder how common they are in this area. As ant eaters they are more than welcome as we have major ant problems (small red ants and black sugar ants).

The question that comes to mind is: why now are there snakes in the suburb, I have lived here for 5 years, and now only have I had to encounters.

I used to live on a plot in Largo, just outside Springs, where understandably we often had Rinkhals, rooi lippies and common house snakes.

Can anyone inform me on the areas where Thread snakes are commonly found and any ideas on why now am I finding snakes in the suburb, I have heard, through the local CPF that other snakes have also been found in the suburb
clivebillowes
SA Reptiles Member

Re: 2 different snakes in the middle of Strubenvale, Springs

Postby froot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:23 am

Finding snakes where they've never been seen before can be attributed to environmental factors and food sources. If you find a snake in an area you can be sure the area is not toxic. Environmental changes could be things like a nearby industry closed down or a nearby dump over time became benign, or a neighbour stopped using poisons. Factors like these will result in the increase of wildlife in an area and then whatever feeds on it. It could also be that a nearby area became toxic or overproductive and the wildlife is busy relocating. This is all speculation but it's what makes sense to me.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Return to Gauteng